Replaced the front shocks today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 2001 we purchased for my wife had more issues with the suspension than I originally thought. I bought it intending to eventually replace the shocks and springs, but after driving it for the last month, we decided to bump the schedule up. I planned to swap the rear shocks and springs today also, but there were a couple of bumps in the road (ha...) that slowed things down.

This was a MD/DC Beltway truck in its prior life before we got it. AKA the place suspensions go to die. The truck has 125k miles, so I mistakenly thought this truck still had the OEM original suspension. Nope, Maryland's beltway roads ate that up sometime ago, I found out the hard way this was an aftermarket setup. No big deal, except I only had a 22mm flex head wrench available for the tight spots, not a 19mm. After that, my son's GF called him and lured him away, so off went my helper, too. We settled for completing the front. While we were at it, I decided to address some of the surface rust issues the truck had from living in the beltway.

20190921_083321.jpg

None of the rust has perforated anything yet, so I was not worried about it when I bought the truck. Scrub it down and get some rust inhibitor on it. We don't get enough bad weather here for salt to be an issue, so I'll treat with Fluid Film or T9 after getting some rust inhibitor paint on it. But this is what I started with.

20190921_083559.jpg

Cleaned it up with the grinder. I hit the crannies and crevasses with a wire brush. I didn't want to risk cutting/snagging any brake lines or boots with the grinder wheel.

20190921_085722.jpg

FIrst coat of rustoleum rust reformer. Did 2 coats, waited a while then top coated with Tractor Supply Farm Implement flat black. Not trying to go for show truck.

20190921_110936.jpg

New OEM shock, it came with a new 22mm nut. It came with two shock bushings, but did not include the 4 washers. I hit the old ones with the wire brush, and reused them. If I had time to do it again, I'd have ordered new washers too. I didn't realize they didn't come with the shocks.

20190921_105713.jpg

Everything that is included with the OEM shock. I should have checked this after I got them, instead of waiting until this morning. One of the lessons learned.

20190921_103410.jpg

20190921_103416.jpg

The old, worn shock bushings compared to the new ones. The old ones were compressed and as hard as hockey pucks. The new ones had some cushion to them. Among other things, I suspect the mechanic who put these one torqued down more than 50 ft lbs on the top nut.

The driver's side shock did not want to come off very easily. This slowed us down quite a bit. The passenger side was no problem at all.

Once we started trying to do the rear shocks, it was clear there was no way to do it without the flex head wrench, especially on the passenger side with the exhaust in the way. No, I do not plan to cut holes in the floor and deal with them that way.

Test drove it with just the fronts replaced, its amazing how much better the ride is already. I'll hopefully get the rear end completed by next weekend.

I just replaced the shocks on my 1998 LC. On the rear I dropped the spare tire. Then jacked up the truck and placed jack stand under the frame and removed the tire. I was able to sit on the floor with my head in the space occupied by the spare tire. I used my sawzall to cut the "bolt" of the top of the shock. Took about 5 minutes with the sawzall to make the cut on each shock. Before cutting the shock I placed my floor jack under the rear axle. Read about this on ih8mud but can't remember who posted it. Thanks to whoever posted this method.

88DC33B5-9CA2-4CF2-8896-C36CCECDA4D6.jpeg

Thanks. I may have to resort to this method if I can't get the bolt to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom