Replace saggy seat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The driver's side front seat on my 1986 FJ60 has a very noticeable sag on the left side. The PO was a big man and he wore it out. Iit is not comfortable sitting in the seat. Furthermore, he was a smoker and he managed to burn several holes in the fabric. I did not find much on the search, so here goes. What are my options? I know that SOR sells a foam bottom replacement for about $150 so I guess option 1 is to get that foam and get new covers which will run at least $300 to $500 for the front. I was wondering if there are any drop-in later model seats that could be found at a salvage yard (later TLC, Toy truck, Tundra, other model). Note: I like the general seating height of my truck and do not want anything with a one-piece high back. Can I pick up later model bucket seats for the same ball park money or am I dreaming. Also, if you have done a seat swap, please include the difficulty of changing the bracketry.

I swapped in seats from a 2004 Honda Pilot into my 60.... one of the best mods I've ever done. The thread is here, somewhere...

Difficulty? Only tools I needed were a jig saw and a drill. Took me two days though... I'm not very handy.

I once got some nice 4runner seats from a salvage yard for about $100 each...don't know how easily they fit into a 60...I put'em into a minitruck.
Specter's foam: If your a heavier guy, say 200# plus, they're probably fine. Me, I'm a lightweight at about 160# and I find my Specter foam to be annoyingly hard. You can actually get a seat bottom re-stuffed at an uphostery place for less than a new Specter foam bottom, if you carry-in just the seat bottom.

I used the SOR foam and seat covers and really like the results.

Actually I was really happy with the results until I sat in Freightdogs truck, he got leather power seats out of a camry and installed them for less than I spent refurbishing my old seats.

Heartworm,
I purchased a 60 passanger seat of someone here (I think Bigsur) and mounted it on the drivers side. 10 min job, no fabrication, cheap and the fabric is a match. Something to think about...

I did something very similar to azaussie, but pulled the foam and fabric off the frame and put it on the driver frame. Looks very nice and I retain my seat recliner handle position.

azaussie said:
Heartworm,
I purchased a 60 passanger seat of someone here (I think Bigsur) and mounted it on the drivers side. 10 min job, no fabrication, cheap and the fabric is a match. Something to think about...

Here is one for sale now https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=67656

I really thought about doing what Fourrunner did but I was to lazy.

I picked up some 2001 subaru seats for $14.00 a piece at the junkyard. They are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the stock ones. I spent the better part of a day getting them in and just right. But well worth it and it made my wife really happy as well (any mod that does that is top-o-the-list)

Anytime I tell folks they are subaru seats they take a second look and tell me they look like OEM, big plus for me.

So go have fun at the junkyard:cheers:

How much?

What are you asking for the seats?

oops!

Sorry guys. I thought I was replying to the For Sale Board. I appreciate all the responses and would welcome more ideas. I walked through one junkyard yesterday but did not find anything appealing. Most of the seats were worn worse than mine. I would love to hear more about how each of you reworked the brackets...did it require welding? Do you feel that your install will be safe in a collision?

Fourrunner said:
I did something very similar to azaussie, but pulled the foam and fabric off the frame and put it on the driver frame. Looks very nice and I retain my seat recliner handle position.

Took me about an hour to take off the trim and put it on my driver seat. I just wanted my driver and passenger and rear seats to match.

I am sorry...hehe...jk. Modesto is OK. Yea...it was really easy. There are a few differences like some fabric material on the side of the seat that the other side doesn't have. You also have to punch a hole in the cover, but you will see. Looks much better now and you cannot tell at all that it is a pass seat.

I had the same saggy seat problem in my 60. Since I dont have passengers very often, I just swapped the drivers seat to the passenger side. It takes 10 mins to take the seats out and 10 mins to swap the brackets. Only difference is that the seat tilt lever is on the inside of the seat instead of the outside.

This is not a pemanent fix, just until I find some seats I like.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom