replace quarter rear window moulding/trim/channel replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced my rotting OEM chrome trim with the black Prado trim last night, front and rear doors were easy but I have absolutely no idea how to tackle these quarter window pieces. I watched @HomersCanyonero YouTube video in his build thread but still don't know where to start or how to get these interior pieces loose without breaking something. Someone mentioned to pull back the weather stripping, but mine appears to be glued to the pillar. Someone else said they just popped it off from the outside, but if you do that I have no idea how you'd clip in the end.

Which part numbers did you use?

Which part numbers did you use?

75711-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH
75712-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH
75721-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, REAR DOOR BELT, RH
75722-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, REAR DOOR BELT, LH
75660-60050 TOYOTA MOULDING ASSY QUARTER BELT, RH
75670-60050 TOYOTA MOULDING ASSY QUARTER BELT, LH

Ordered from CarMarka, was around $150 total shipped to me in the US.

75711-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH
75712-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH
75721-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, REAR DOOR BELT, RH
75722-60061 TOYOTA MOULDING, REAR DOOR BELT, LH
75660-60050 TOYOTA MOULDING ASSY QUARTER BELT, RH
75670-60050 TOYOTA MOULDING ASSY QUARTER BELT, LH

Ordered from CarMarka, was around $150 total shipped to me in the US.

Awesome, thank you! 144 to my door through PartSouq

I was thinking about changing my chrome trim to black until I saw this youtube vid and thought......hmmm maybe not. Too much work!

Looks like you need to remove all of the rear interior plastics to move the window forward for clearance.

Did all 6 of mine. Back two were the most involved but it's still a 1 banana job. 1) pull out the weather door seal only around where the window bolt is. Slide in a long 10mm ratchet wrench (slightly bend the plastic covering the seatbelt area). Loosen but don't take off, replace the moulding then tighten back up. I might have popped a single plastic clip on the seatbelt cover but it popped right back in.

IMG_20200427_154227064_HDR.jpg

Did all 6 of mine. Back two were the most involved but it's still a 1 banana job. 1) pull out the weather door seal only around where the window bolt is. Slide in a long 10mm ratchet wrench (slightly bend the plastic covering the seatbelt area). Loosen but don't take off, replace the moulding then tighten back up. I might have popped a single plastic clip on the seatbelt cover but it popped right back in.

View attachment 2287584
This was my first time installing anything on a car and this method worked great. The only thing to add is I vented the window open to give me room for the trim.

018C5182-124A-4D2E-9CF5-078C722A2F91.jpeg

I replaced mine by using a hacksaw blade to cut the plastic piece that is the biggest hassle to remove. Took less than 10 minutes. I did this after spending an hour trying to get the other side out/in. It was easy to pop out the remaining piece behind the window without having to remove anything. The new piece just slid in and has remained in place with no issue for quite some time.

Edit: this was done on a 2008 GX470

So after reading a ton of different posts including this thread i finally figured out how to get to the nut/bolt that pushes the rear quarter window out enough to get at the clip that holds down the weather moulding. I went the route of completely removing the lower interior panel in order to get under the top half of the panel where the nut is hiding.

Followed these instructions for safe removal of the lower interior panel: Adding Dynamat behind subwoofer - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

After that was off the top portion just pops out along the locations where is snaps in. Didn't take it completely off, just the area around the Seat Belt. One thing to note of course is that if you do this - when you're closing it back up again make sure that the plastic seatbelt adjuster on the outside matches up with the mechanism underneath or you might break it.

Once that was clear I was able to find the hole with the nut in it:

tempImage25UVwZ.jpg

Here is that hole from a better angle, you can see there is a pin in it that keeps the nut from falling inside into a black hole

tempImage8rssbE.jpg

You'll need a long socket to be able to loosen the nut and clear the bolt, or you can fake it and invent your own tools like i did taping the socket to a pair of pliers:

tempImage0L6zRr.jpg

Once that's loose - like everyone else said, you can get to the clip and rip that old crusty moulding off there and replace it. I did also create another tool to remove the clip without destroying it - i connected a small screw to a small screwdriver with some wire to be able to push the button on the clip and extract it as clean as possible.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.26.12 PM.png

Probably did more than i needed to, but popping out all the panels gave me way more flexibility with accessing the hole that the nut is hiding in.

thanks for all the info here guys, just wanted to share my experience as well and give back.

Last edited:
I just did this last night - all 6 moldings took maybe 15 minutes to swap.... and looks much better!
I think that the key is to be aggressive on removing the old and gentle on installing the new.

nb: I'm also fixing my sunroof, so the rear interior trim is all removed right now. That made the 3rd row molding much faster to install.

Just did all 6 moldings on my 03 since the 2 rear quarter panel ones were starting to fall apart. If anyone is having trouble looking for decent prices for the rear quarter panel ones, I got them shipped for $49 from partsouq.com

Just wanted to share since I found it really easy to find decently priced ones on ebay for the 4 windows, but for 7566060050 and 7567060050, the prices are ridiculous.

Has the fit been confirmed to work on 2003s as well?

Has the fit been confirmed to work on 2003s as well?
I replaced mine on my 2003 GX470 with the black ones referenced up in post #24 in this thread.

Oh wait…that post doesn’t have the part numbers I used for the black window mouldings. Those are listed here

Last edited:
FYI it is a ~60 minute job to Plasti-Dip the rear trim. I replaced the door trim with black pieces but used the Plasti-Dip for the rear piece. Much easier and it's very hard to tell the difference in the shade of black. Total cost is $7 for the dip and $5-6 for a roll of masking tape.

because this is sort of the definitive thread for this mod, credit to RT Een on GXOR FB group.

this is how you want to do the rear window belt moulding

FB_IMG_1637830247746.jpg

because this is sort of the definitive thread for this mod, credit to RT Een on GXOR FB group.

this is how you want to do the rear window belt moulding

View attachment 2847684

@trinydex Link to that person’s post? Or does anyone know how to pop the quarter window out like that? I may just break the tabs on the quarter trims and rely on the plastic clips to hold them in. Should be enough hold.

@trinydex Link to that person’s post? Or does anyone know how to pop the quarter window out like that? I may just break the tabs on the quarter trims and rely on the plastic clips to hold them in. Should be enough hold.

you undo the hardware that is in the latch of the window

You can from the inside, too, if you don’t mind taking off the trim panels in the cargo area. It’s tedious, but if you have other projects back there, you can knock it all out in one go.

You still have to remove the latch like in the picture, but you get a better angle at one part of the moulding that screws in place.

My hope is to just pop out the quarter window and roll it forward to access the tab on the trim. I have too many things bolted/screwed into the rear quarter panels to make it worth it for me to remove all of them to just access the tab on the window trim.

From what I can tell, the only thing the tab on the window trim does is prevent thieves from pulling the trim off of the GX. The three plastic clips along the bottom of the window trim are sufficient to hold it in place. If removing the quarter window is too complicated or doesn’t allow me to access the tab on the window trim, I’ll just break the tab and install without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom