Replace or Reuse Calipers?

96r50

There is a great thread in the 80 section by Slomo about rebuilding front and rear calipers. I "assume" it would apply to the 100 series calipers as well.

Trunk Monkey

Unless there's an issue with them, why would you replace them? Replace pads and rotors as needed, rebuild calipers if they stick.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

The guy at the brake place said they won't re-use calipers. I have to buy re-man calipers when they put new pads in.

I'll just get some new pads and install them my self.

35inchoverdrive

Forge Specialties
The guy at the brake place said they won't re-use calipers. I have to buy re-man calipers when they put new pads in.

I'll just get some new pads and install them my self.
Changing them out yourself sounds like a good plan. "We don't re-use calipers", sounds like more of a scam than preventive maintainence.

Front, Rear or both? I've reused mine when I changed the pads without doing anything to them about 20k miles back. Went with Akebono ceramic pads from importec.com. The braking is better and a lot less brake dust. I just rebuilt the front calipers last week with a kit from cdan. Am planning to do the rear calipers this week. Its quite simple actually - use an air hose to pop the pistons. I used this thread on the 80s forum for reference: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/175627-brake-caliper-rebuild.html

Trunk Monkey

Yeah, front pads are a freakin' piece of cake on these trucks. Rears aren't much more difficult. All 4 could take 2 hours at most.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

I'll pick up a new set at Toyota Friday.

It's probably a good time to take a look around down there with the wheel off anyway.

just replace the pads and service the rotors, btw it allways good to exchange the brake fluid you know " pump, opend bleeding scrud, pump again" offcourse you are gonna need some to help you

Yeah... what overdrive said. There was one place in my home town that tried to pull that kind of stuff, and once they looked at it said they couldn't let you drive it out off their property because it was unsafe. Then I guess someone informed their corporate office and it slowed down alot.

Anyway, as all have said they are OK to re-use and rebuild if sticking. You will know if they stick as there will be uneven wear of the pads. Also if you do rebuild, make sure to rebuild both sides when you do it... just a good idea.

Trunk Monkey

Also, if you take a caliper off, use some light Loctite on the caliper bolts. I can think of a handful of people (me included) that have had one back out and mayhem ensue.

hoser

SILVER Star

I can imagine him/her saying to not reuse a disc as some vehicles disc can't even be turned but not reusing a perfectly good caliper? Did he say your calipers were sticking?

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

I can imagine him/her saying to not reuse a disc as some vehicles disc can't even be turned but not reusing a perfectly good caliper? Did he say your calipers were sticking?
It was in for a tire rotation, they didn't take anything apart just inspected the pads and recommended I replace them. That sounds realistic given how many miles we have on the rig and the conditions we drive in.

replace brak ecalipers that are still good?

I would no longer trust that place of business. The 'line' the guy was spinning is pure Kaka (crap, horse puckey,etc.) Unless the caliper is very old, been badly overheated or corroded, is leaking, or has caused very uneven pad wear from a stuck/binding piston, there is NO VALID REASON to replace a perfectly good brake caliper on a street automobile. That is not even done on aircraft--both small piston ones and big jets. So your pads needed replacing? Did they provide you thickness measurement as they are on the vehicle? No? why not. If they were thicker than 4 MM, that meets Dealer requirements as good to go for another service interval.

Top Bottom