Replace a timing gear or replace both timing gears?

So I am rebuilding my 2f and I needed to replace my camshaft timing gear with a new one simply because the rubber/plastic in there is cracking and because it is just a good idea to do after God only knows how many miles and what kind of abuse this motor had before I got it.

I am concerned that not replacing that will mean that I will get a terrible whine from the new gear meshing with the old one. I spoke to the techs at the local Toyota dealership and they said that they don't need to be replaced in pairs and that it won't whine, but I am not so sure that is true.

Question is, do I also need to replace the timing gear on the crank too?

I would do both I just did this when I put in a new cam. save yourself the worry. do both and be done with it.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
No, the gears do not need replaced in pairs, unless they are both damaged. Since the cam gear is only being replaced as a preventive measure, there is no need to replace the (bombproof) crank gear.

As for the toyota dealer actually having the right answer to a tech question about an engine that went out of production 21 years ago: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom