Repeat Wheel Bearing Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed this morning that my driver’s side wheel bearing is starting to make the typical bearing failure noises. This will be the third driver’s side bearing in 2 years. The prior two were both installed by Lexus using OEM parts.

Anyone know what could be causing this reoccurring failure? Something I’m doing? Bad LCA/UCA bushings? Bad alignment? My alignment was just done with a steering rack replacement (by Lexus, less than 6 months ago). I haven’t had the chance to wheel on anything harder than a fire road and I’ve never taken it through a water crossing. 99% of my driving is highwa

I did just put e-rated 275s on it, but I know some of you run much bigger/heavier tires without grinding through bearings every 8 months.

Thanks!

That is very strange. How do the other components up front look? LCA bushings, upper and lower balljoints, endlinks, etc. etc. You should not be eating bearings so quickly... Can't remember but are you running wheel spacers?
Do you remember what the others looked like when you replaced them, meaning abnormal wear indications? Has the drivers CV axle been replaced as well? Sorry, just brainstorming any components that could cause premature failure.

The tech at the dealership is not repacking the bearing with fresh bearing grease before install, and/or beating the bearing up as they install it.

Everything’s got some surface rust on it. The bushings don’t look that bad from what I remember. I’ll have to take a better look this weekend. The driver’s CV has not been swapped as far as I know. The passenger side was changed last summer. I never saw the old bearings. Everything has been done under warranty to this point, so they just throw the old ones away I assume.

The tech at the dealership is not repacking the bearing with fresh bearing grease before install, and/or beating the bearing up as they install it.

But preassembled vs installing. Also check your spindle for bends

I've always bought pre-pressed assemblies as it's just easier and I don't have a shop press. Do you think that they are repeatedly damaging the bearing when they press them into the hub assembly? I've done them using my in-laws shop and it isn't that hard to install when using the correct equipment. Just find it hard to believe that they'd mess that up m

I've always bought pre-pressed assemblies as it's just easier and I don't have a shop press. Do you think that they are repeatedly damaging the bearing when they press them into the hub assembly? I've done them using my in-laws shop and it isn't that hard to install when using the correct equipment. Just find it hard to believe that they'd mess that up m

Ive seen some ham fisted chits over the years.
I like @Vlad 's theory too. A bent spindle would tear things up quick.

Thanks guys! I’m going to take a good look at the stuff you mentioned this weekend

I had a bent PS spindle and it caused my wheel bearing to wear out FAST. Will show up as a camber problem on alignment.

I’m dropping the GX off at Lexus today for my state inspection/emissions. I swapped my factory wheels/tires on last night (just in case they try to tell me my oversized tires void the warranty). While I did that, I poked around and didn’t notice any loose bushings or anything obvious. The spindles looked fine from what I could tell. Hopefully the Lexus techs can find something because I can’t afford to replace a wheel bearing every year once this Toyota warranty is gone haha. I’ll check back with the results.

I feel like there must be some manufacturing quality inconsistency. My PS bearing started making noise about 75K miles, and play was readily apparent. Now at 153K my DS bearing seems to be making noise, but I couldn't detect any play when I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't noted in inspection a month ago. So, I'm not sure whether it's the bearing or the CV. The noise goes away with a right turn.

Nothing to report. Everything looked just peachy apparently. I’m going to have to take a closer look at everything once the weather turns.

Passed the state inspection with flying colors though, so I got that going for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom