repairing an old gerry can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recieved on old gerry can for free and it is in relatively good shape. I noticed that the inside is a little scaly and i was wondering if anyone knew the name ofthe product that you can just put in the tank, swirl around and be done with. It is like a sealer. I am sure there is a step that loosens and cleans out the scale and then the sealer goes in. What the heck is tha name of the product. Anyone?

U.S. Standard is the name of the sealer. POR-15 sells the kit with the gumout, cleaner, sealer & stabilizer. They have one kit that is sized for a motorcycle tank that is about $27.00. Eastwood Automotive has a similar kit that is car fuel tank size only at around $40.00. Could buy a new can for less.

I used US Standard from POR 15 for just this. &nbsp:Didn't use the kit. It was cheaper to buy the smallest jar of liner and I used the metal-ready I had.

Mike,

It kinda depends on the can. If it was a cool old military antique type can, I'd do it. if it's one of the newish ones I'd pass...........

Dan

Yeah, mine is a US Military can with "US" imprinted and "1951".

Mine too is one of the mil spec cans from just after korea. I'd like to get it looking ship shape for just that reason.

You can go get a jug of muratic acid, $5, a jug of castrol super clean, $6, and a quart of MEK, $7 and then go to a radiator shop and get a gallon of Redicoat tank sealer $40 to $50 bucks and go through the process of degreasing it with the superclean mix say 3 cups to a gallon of hot water, wash it around, then rinse it out, then dump a quart or so of the muratic acid in to eat the rust and what is left of the galvanizing on the inside of the can. Now you drain and rinse and keep rinsing 'cause the acid will cause rust again. Allow to dry, rinse with MEK(No smoking) and then coat with redicoat. Afterruining a pair of pants and frying your hands with the degreaser, MEK, and acid because you should have bought some rubber gloves too,$5 , have one sweet Jerry can but nobody will know it because you still have to paint the outside. $68 bucks would buy a couple of nice jerry cans eh? Muratic acid will get it usable alone, it will rust again, however, I have used the above method on fuel tanks and it does work well.

GET SOME PLAY SAND,JACK UP YOUR CRUISER SO THAT ONE TIRE IS OFF THE GROUND(ONLY IF YOUR DIFF IS OPEN) BUNJI THE TANK TO YOUR TIRE,PUT YOUR CRUISER IN 4WD LOW AND IN 20 MIN. OR SO YOU WILL HAVE A RUST FREE CAN,FLUSH WITH WATER THOURLY THEN FILL WITH GAS.MY IDEA SOUND COOLER ANYWAY.OR YOUR LAWN TRACTOR WOULD WORK.O YEA PUT THE SAND IN THE CAN. SEAFOAM WILL KEEP RUST FROM FORMING WHEN CAN IS PARTIALY FULL.

great idea. NEVER would have even thought of that. Along the same lines, if you have a friend or neighbor that has a cement mixer, cuz we all do, it works awesome for cleaning parts with an abrasive mix like sand. My father just got a mixer and i used it to clean a ton of parts over the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom