Repaint emblems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recieved two used fender emblems. The black flaking is peeling off but the shiny part is still good. Has anybody repainted the black portion or know the best way to do it? I was think of taping off the shiny part then hitting it with some black paint. Any easier way other than buying a new set.

Probably easier to buy new ones but if you're going to paint them remove all the paint (black) first, then etch prime before going on to your surface primer and top coat.

Are you referring to the apron Landcruiser ones? I had considered possibly flowing some model paint to see if it gives a decent result on mine, being an enamel it's close to what's used on other emblems. Just a thought.

I've used Testers model paint w/decent results.

Whatever paint you are going to use its good to use an etch primer on the chrome first as otherwise it peels/chips off easily, its also easier to get an even coverage that way. That's the way I would do it anyway...

What is etch primer, I also need to restore my emblems, and where can you by etch primer and what is it typically used on?

Thanks

Currently snowing on the Texas Gulf Coast

Rub on a thin layer of Vaseline with your fingertip on the chrome surfaces where you DO NOT want the paint to stick then spray it normally. When it's dry just wipe it. :banana:

What is etch primer, I also need to restore my emblems, and where can you by etch primer and what is it typically used on?

Thanks

Currently snowing on the Texas Gulf Coast

Forget etch primer....they're plastic for cryin' out loud! Clean the black part you want to paint with lacquer thinner or alcohol and a Qtip. I used masking tape on the chrome surface and trimmed it along the black edge with an Exacto knife to get a sharp edge. I don't even remember what I used for black paint, probably something like Zero Rust in a spray can that I happened to have handy. I like the satin/matte finish better than gloss.

Mine need work and they are metal not plastic. I would think some cleaning like you say, wet sand with real fine paper and paint would be fine.

I've used Testers model paint w/decent results.

same here.
Handed them to my daughter, who's got a good steady hand and they came out nice.

I sprayed some on on my previous truck and just took some steel wool and buffed the paint off of the shiney part. Looked great and lasted a long time. I used semi gloss spray paint with good results.

I did something similar to the above.

I taped off the straight edges, then used a crayola crayon to color all over the raised shiny surfaces.

After spray painting and allowing the paint to cure, I used a razor blade (held at a 45 to the surface) and removed the paint from the letters. The wax allows the paint to come off really clean.

Last thing I did was to go over the raised surfaces with a really fine steel wool, soap and water.

I was pretty happy with the results.
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4798.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. That Toyota emblem looks awesome in black. I like the steel wool idea to clean it up and I'll try the crayola. Since they are plastic, I might have to be pretty gentle on getting the paint off the lettering.

Had some spare time a couple of weekends ago... Front Grille Emblem. After 30 years it was pretty wind eroded... Used model spray paint for both the light yellow and black.
IMG_4125.jpg
IMG_4151.jpg

Had some spare time a couple of weekends ago... Front Grille Emblem. After 30 years it was pretty wind eroded... Used model spray paint for both the light yellow and black.

looks GREAT, what color paint and where did you find the paint????

I did something similar to the above.

I taped off the straight edges, then used a crayola crayon to color all over the raised shiny surfaces.

After spray painting and allowing the paint to cure, I used a razor blade (held at a 45 to the surface) and removed the paint from the letters. The wax allows the paint to come off really clean.

Last thing I did was to go over the raised surfaces with a really fine steel wool, soap and water.

I was pretty happy with the results.

HEY! Nice job there... :cheers:

Good to see you around. Happy New Year! :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom