removing winshield trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
now that the cruiser is hibernating for the winter, i'd like to tackle the rust that is starting underneath the windshield trim. if i remove the trim, can it be reused? what is the best way of removing it?

It can be re-used most likely (unless its dry and brittle and/or torn). I just replaced my windshield yesterday and also re-used the weatherstrip trim. Use the Tech Links for Windshield removal/replacement - worked for me. Be sure to start removal from a corner (not the middle).

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/glassinstall1.php

AndrewT

from bad to worse

after breaking the windshield trying to remove it. this is what is waiting for me...

rot1.jpg

rot2.jpg

rot3.jpg

rot4.jpg

what do you think? repair or replace? i've got some rust bullet, but i wasn't expecting it to be this bad. this is the passenger side of the frame. the driver's side is almost spotless.

Mine was the same and I replaced it with a fibreglass one from Gozzard. Great quality and I don't have to worry about it rusting out again.

That is pretty clean actually. Since most of the yuck is under the gasket, you want to remove the rust and or convert it chemically. Then sand -> prime -> sand some more and then top coat.

I would have the frame blasted (about $40-$50) or you could wire wheel it and then chemically prepare it before priming and painting.

easy peasy

Oh yeah on your gasket, what NJFJ40 wrote. I ruined my gasket trying to remove it so I bought new but I wish I could have taken care on my original one. It was fine.

I have cleaned with simple green and water and then soaked rubber in a baggie (or garbage bag for big stuff) in Armor All or like product. I did this to my cowl gasket and it came out fine.

It depends if you got more time than money, your ability and how nice you are trying to make it. Anything can be fixed with enough of any of above. Some may think this would be a waste of time while others would be glad to have one this nice. The rust appears to be hidden by the weatherstrip so even if your skills were limitted and the frame was in otherwise pristine condition, one could argue to fix this. The other side may argue that if it's got this much cancer here its got it other places like along the bottom where they typically rust badly just waiting for a place to happen. I'd personally look for a used one from an arid climate, scuff, paint and install.

i could see that it was rusting underneath the weatherstripping and the plan was to sandblast the entire thing and repaint, but i didn't think i would find what i did. my skills at repairing stuff like this is mediocre at best, but i know a guy that could probably help out, but he's pretty busy.

i don't think thing the rust that is there could be chemically converted. it's pretty brittle as it stands. if it will be a repair job, i think the best idea is to cut and weld in a new piece.

trekker I have cleaned with simple green and water and then soaked rubber in a baggie (or garbage bag for big stuff) in Armor All or like product. I did this to my cowl gasket and it came out fine.[/QUOTE said:
i've found westley's bleach white and a nylon scrub brush works great, but avoid armor all at all costs...use son of a gun or another product. armor all actaully dries it out.

Pic #1 says it all...

I am junk, and need to be replaced.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom