Removing quarter panel supports? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apart from being a mounting point for the tyre carrier (which has been removed anyway) & catching dirt to rust out the rear quarter panels, do the lower supports behind the rear quater panels do anything? Can I cut them out while I am repairing rust in the quater panels or could this cause a problem later?

Both mine are gone. Not because I cut them out, rather that they rusted out. However, that being said I just fabbed a new 1/4 panel out of 18GA sheet. It bent great, but I wish I had rebuilt the support to the point just before it started to bend because without that straight part, your corner doesn't form right. If your panels are bought preformed then no problem. I hand to build something in to make mine work, which it did, in the end. Are you just patching? or putting in new panels?

Basically where the quater panels contact the supports the panels have completely rusted out (the last owner just fibreglassed over rust), so I guess you could say they are large patches. I figured that without the supports it would be difficult to get the patches to form the right curve, so I think i'll leave them in there for now, thanks for your help.

Yes I guess if you are depending on that support to form a curve for bondo then you need it. Here's how mine turned out. I cut the panels off from the roof support frame. Then welded new sheet metal in. Somebody sent me this link. If you aren't as adventurous as me then this would be the way to go. Post a picture or 2.
Mike

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/265277-ebay-seller-zaskar_ofn-items.html

DSC_1486.jpg

DSC_1488.jpg

DSC_1487.jpg
DSC_1486.jpg
DSC_1488.jpg
DSC_1487.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom