Removing quarter panel supports?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by BEE-JAY42, Feb 23, 2009.

1. BEE-JAY42

BEE-JAY42

Media:
    Albums:
    Apart from being a mounting point for the tyre carrier (which has been removed anyway) & catching dirt to rust out the rear quarter panels, do the lower supports behind the rear quater panels do anything? Can I cut them out while I am repairing rust in the quater panels or could this cause a problem later?

2. mikebj42

mikebj42

Media:
    Albums:
    Both mine are gone. Not because I cut them out, rather that they rusted out. However, that being said I just fabbed a new 1/4 panel out of 18GA sheet. It bent great, but I wish I had rebuilt the support to the point just before it started to bend because without that straight part, your corner doesn't form right. If your panels are bought preformed then no problem. I hand to build something in to make mine work, which it did, in the end. Are you just patching? or putting in new panels?

3. BEE-JAY42

BEE-JAY42

Media:
    Albums:
    Basically where the quater panels contact the supports the panels have completely rusted out (the last owner just fibreglassed over rust), so I guess you could say they are large patches. I figured that without the supports it would be difficult to get the patches to form the right curve, so I think i'll leave them in there for now, thanks for your help.

4. mikebj42

mikebj42

Media:
    Albums:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.