Removable Work Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many moons ago I bought a work light with the idea that I wanted to make it removable to (1) allow me to remove it from its base and move it around (or under) the truck and (2) allow me to take it off when I'm in the city so it doesn't 'walk off' and to make sure I don't prang it in some parking garage.

Here is the end result:
LinkPhoto

The light is 55W halogen, waterproof and is mounted on swivle base (360 degrees and something like 30-40 degrees both down and up). The light has a 3 foot pigtail that I run into the side window and it will soon :-[ be wired into a secondary rear fuse box on a quick disconnect. I can also attach it to a longer lead to use around the truck as needed (I just need to fab a bracket that mounts on a spiked pole). The light is double switched - a main dash switch for power and then a second on/off switch on the light.

Here is the light on/off switch

LinkPhoto

When I remove the large nut on the bottom of the light (easily done by hand), this is what's left:

LinkPhoto

The bracket came with the light and, with extended bolts, fits nicely on my Thule rack.

oh, yeah, here is a random shot of the big white beast off road (stock and dragg'n all over the place)

LinkPhoto

Cheers, Hugh

WOW! I use a little backup lightbulb that plugs into the 12plug.
I like your setup better.
kurt

Hugh,
Do you have a source and a price for the removable light? That's a nice set up.
-B-

Hugh,
Do you have a source and a price for the removable light?  That's a nice set up.
-B-
B:

Well,....ummmm,...ahhhhh,.....looking around awkwardly...I bought mine at Rovers North, a specialized Land Rover shop in VT for about $80. I believe the unit it a LR OEM part (RN part number is RTC8921AA http://catalog.roversnorth.com/catalog/large.taf?id=RTC8921AA) and I would imagine that you could get it at any LR shop

You could also buy the $1.99 version.

Cheers, Hugh

Look in Cabelas, they make 55 watt removable, swiveling 12volt work/spotlights for ATV's. Looks like nearly the same thing, may be cheaper than $80 too.

I can see where a work light would come in handy for the Rover crowd. :D Um, I hope it's not a Lucas one :eek: .

I can see where a work light would come in handy for the Rover crowd.  :D  Um, I hope it's not a Lucas one :eek: .

Ya, I had to buy my membersip into the LR group with something. This comes with 48 spare bulbs, 7 new switches and 2 spare wiring looms :D :D

PS, I had a look at the Cabela's light made by RAM (~$60). I really love RAM mounts, they are top notch, but I think the mount they sell it for it for tube (ATV racks), although you could buy some other adapter. IIRC, these are also smaller lamps (based on the ones I've seen on ATVs). The concept should work with most lights, but I really liked the simple and sturdy bracket, etc

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom