Remote start?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m pretty sure I have a port installed remote start on my 2011 LX (sticker on side window, and build sheet state it has it). It doesn’t work with the 2 clicks, and long 3rd click on key fob. Does this mean, in need the Enform service for it to work?

This is an old thread but, I have the factory remote starter in my 2011. It definitely starts the truck but none of the climate control turns on, no defrost, no heat, just runs the engine. Does anyone know if there is a setting to change that?
You have to Turn on all your heat or ac settings, seat settings before you turn off the truck the day/night before. Rear defrost, wiper heaters isn’t an option to turn on.

Anyone find the best remote start for a +18 200? My ‘20 doesn’t have remote but I’d like to find one I can use that doesn’t turn the truck off when I open the door and possibly has an app to turn it on.

12 volt solutions plug n play is the best I can find so far.

Last edited:
Anyone find the best remote start for a +18 200? My ‘20 doesn’t have remote but I’d like to find one I can use that doesn’t turn the truck off when I open the door and possibly has an app to turn it on.

I think the engine kill thing is baked deep into the system somewhere. Doubtful there is a system that bypasses it. Hope I'm wrong.

A friend just bought a '17 RAV4 with an aftermarket remote start and it does the same thing. So annoying.

@KLF is right. Nothing out there to bypass the engine kill when door is opening.

I have Drone Mobile and it’s great.

I have the 12 V solutions with the app module. I love it.

I too have this with the app and OEM fob connectivity/functionality. They've got an option of a "long range" FOB too, but that would indeed add another FOB to your keyring. The app is usually pretty good with network coverage, but I have had intermittent issues with connectivity (usually in areas with limited cellular coverage) or parking garages. I installed it myself and would not hesitate to do this again. That said, there are competitors that offer different benefits with their products.
You are using this solution via the app from 12Volt Solutions. Seems like it checks all the boxes. Sorry if you mentioned but do you keep the OE key fob, carry both, or use the OE fob and mange the rest through the app. No subscription for the app to work?

I think the engine kill thing is baked deep into the system somewhere. Doubtful there is a system that bypasses it. Hope I'm wrong.

A friend just bought a '17 RAV4 with an aftermarket remote start and it does the same thing. So annoying.
The more I look into this, I haven’t found a workaround solution. I guess it’s done this way for all the stolen 200’s in Japan 🤪 I can see them adding it for Middle East buyers as additional theft protection.

You are using this solution via the app from 12Volt Solutions. Seems like it checks all the boxes. Sorry if you mentioned but do you keep the OE key fob, carry both, or use the OE fob and mange the rest through the app. No subscription for the app to work?
I use the app if I'm out of OEM fob range and want to use remote start. Aside from areas of limited cell service, it works great. I think there is a subscription cost for the app, but cannot remember for sure. check out 12v website to be sure.

I’ve had my 12 volt sitting in the garage for a few months waiting for time to install. They give you a free year of app service then it is a yearly subscription.

With all this discussion on remote start, how soon will Toyota start charging a monthly fee for remote start?

Very soon I believe. Toyota already announced it this week for many of their new cars…

Heck, BMW is planning to charge a per use fee for your heated seats.

Porsche is trying to get me to pay a monthly fee for some Installed hardware features on my new Taycan Cross Tourisomo, which i believed i paid for when I bought my $115,000 car. I don’t do payments or subscriptions on cars.

The way things are going, my Land Cruiser may be my last long term vehicle.

I loved the basic Viper remote on my old 4R, worked from a block away. Just before quitting time every day in the winter, guys used to come into my office to click their factory remotes at my window facing the parking lot, that was lame. I'm hoping I can get another Viper, I've sent an inquiry to Viper about it.

Or I can just suck it up and keep life simple.

The app is cheap. Free for the first year and then $39/year afterwards. Not too bad IMO.

Aside from remote start, it's an easy way to check to make sure you locked your doors when out and about. I forget all the time...

With all this discussion on remote start, how soon will Toyota start charging a monthly fee for remote start?

Very soon I believe. Toyota already announced it this week for many of their new cars…

Heck, BMW is planning to charge a per use fee for your heated seats.

Porsche is trying to get me to pay a monthly fee for some Installed hardware features on my new Taycan Cross Tourisomo, which i believed i paid for when I bought my $115,000 car. I don’t do payments or subscriptions on cars.

The way things are going, my Land Cruiser may be my last long term vehicle.

Everyday we stray further from the light.
Its like they are rushing to create this dystopian nightmare reality. I continue to be happy with my purchase and i am highly weary of these tactics shopping for an EV.

Bringing this thread up again. The subscription fee is only for Toyota factory installed remote starts correct? My 2018 has a viper remote start on it and I love it.

The first 200 LC I bought last February, a 2010, came with remote start so I assumed they all did. Wrong-O. Today I asked a Toyota service advisor what it would take to install this feature on my new-to-me 2014. 800 bucks. I miss having it, especially on a day like today when it's minus 10 outside.

I like it, too, thanks! The description of how it functions matches the remote start that was on the 2010 I sold. Have you installed one of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom