reliable high temperature paint for valve cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hallo everybody...I am putting on a new valve cover which is only primer coated and I need some good paint which will not peel off like on my other valve cover...Do you have any good results with certain paints,spray paints??Thanks

My money is on any color of powder coating;).

I have used graphite metallic wheel paint and a black wrinkle paint with great success. If you use a gloss paint I always recommend applying a clear over it. Engine cleaners will de-gloss paint that is not cleared.

Hallo everybody...I am putting on a new valve cover which is only primer coated and I need some good paint which will not peel off like on my other valve cover...Do you have any good results with certain paints,spray paints??Thanks

Any good engine enamel should do the trick. Actually, if heat didn't cause your prior peeling issue it might have been poor prep work. You need to make sure that any oil/grease residue is COMPLETELY removed before you apply the paint. If you miss a spot then the new paint won't stick and will eventually peel. Scuffing the surface with a red Scotch-Brite pad will help with adhesion too.

Thanks for your ideas...I didn"t know you can powdercoat aluminum valve cover....Good to know...Yeah will try to take all fingerprints out with cleaning solution and decide which way I will go....Thanks again Mike

The other option would be to remove the primer and wetsand the aluminum until it looks nice. I like the aluminum look but realize it's not for everyone. Then coat the aluminum with clear 2k epoxy. I've been using the rattle can 2 part epoxy from spraymax. It is tough stuff and easy to apply. They state it has a very high gasoline and chemical restance, I haven't heat tested it yet though.

Here's an aluminum part I just coated. I was in a hurry so I didn't wetsand it though. Just used dremel ez-lock polishing buffs to get some of the dings out.
IMG_5055.JPG

I've had good luck with VHT high temperature engine enamel, in satin black and in cast iron. I bake the parts for at least two hours under inexpensive poultry brooder lamps I bought at Tractor Supply.

Here are some photos of the 3FE going in my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. Disregard the first photo, the exhaust manifolds were actually finished using EZ-Slide graphite paint, and the heat shields were simply cleaned and polished.

Exhaust-Manifold-9.jpg

Air-Pump-Stay.jpg

Hose-1.jpg

Hose-4.jpg

Here's a photo of my '76 FJ40 after installation of the water pump and thermostat housings I swapped out for my oil cooler installation. The thermostat housings were painted in VHT cast iron.

Thermostat-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your ideas...I didn"t know you can powdercoat aluminum valve cover....Good to know...Yeah will try to take all fingerprints out with cleaning solution and decide which way I will go....Thanks again Mike

@SW20 had his valve cover powder painted. It turned out really nice. I think there's a pic in his revival thread.

@DSB345 had his polished; also looks great.

I've had good luck with VHT high temperature engine enamel, in satin black and in cast iron. I bake the parts for at least two hours under inexpensive poultry brooder lamps I bought at Tractor Supply.

Here are some photos of the 3FE going in my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. Disregard the first photo, the exhaust manifolds were actually finished using EZ-Slide graphite paint, and the heat shields were simply cleaned and polished.

View attachment 1504242

View attachment 1504243

View attachment 1504249

View attachment 1504250

Here's a photo of my '76 FJ40 after installation of the water pump and thermostat housings I swapped out for my oil cooler installation. The thermostat housings were painted in VHT cast iron.

View attachment 1504255

View attachment 1504242

View attachment 1504243

View attachment 1504249

View attachment 1504250

View attachment 1504255
Thanks for the pictures...Are you saying you bake the parts for 2 hours before or after you paint them?

After. From what I've read the VHT engine enamal cures with engine heat, but because I don't yet have the 3FE installed I decided to use the heat lamps. Besides, some of the accessory brackets and other parts probably don't heat up with engine temperature like the block or head would.

there are hi temp powders that are silicone based but not every shop will spray them Silicone based powders can contaminate the standard polyester, polyurethane and epoxy powders if overspray wanders from one spray area to the other. The result will be fish eyes in the normal
runs.
My choice for hi temp is Ceracote, ceramic or something similar. Headers like Hooker are now Ceracoted and seen to stand up , long term , to exhaust temps. They claim 2000 deg for the colors and 1300 for the chrome. I guess beyond that the chrome starts losing it's gloss.....
but I hope you aren't chroming a Land Cruiser....this isn't the Philippines

Cerakote Coatings: C-7600Q Cerakote Glacier Black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom