Reliability of 2000 lx 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this vehicle back in 2006 and now it has 115K miles. It is still running strong and aged really well.
However, I am concerned about its potential reliability issues and find myself stranger if it breaks down. Whats your recommendation?

If I am to replace this vehicle, I will consider either 2013-2015, open to 2010/2011 lx570 if there isnt much difference between 2011 and 2013 version, lx570 or relatively newer gx460/prado. How do you compare these two?

We don't know your mechanical aptitude, financial situation, personal situation, risk aversion, preferences, or time constraints. This is an impossible question to answer.

We don't know your mechanical aptitude, financial situation, personal situation, risk aversion, preferences, or time constraints. This is an impossible question to answer.

Thanks for you reply.
I do not have any urgency to find a replacement as I rarely drive this vehicle and I rarely have passengers in this vehicle. My concern is that how reliable is it when it has already passed 20 years of its life and is it worth keeping this vehicle given its age.

Dump it. Its a 20 year old vehicle. Really its a money pit at this point if you don't do your own labour. Every piece of rubber is 20 years old.

I purchased this vehicle back in 2006 and now it has 115K miles. It is still running strong and aged really well.
However, I am concerned about its potential reliability issues and find myself stranger if it breaks down. Whats your recommendation?

If I am to replace this vehicle, I will consider either 2013-2015, open to 2010/2011 lx570 if there isnt much difference between 2011 and 2013 version, lx570 or relatively newer gx460/prado. How do you compare these two?
I have a 1998. No maintenance records or reliable way to know if there were any major mechanical concerns before purchase. I'd baseline it and I try to follow the advice I find here. Only other thing would be as hickup truck said rubber is probably worn, but maybe my follow up would be is that something that would leave you stranded? I'm no expert but seals that leak or don't hold compression will give warning.When I purchased my lx it hadn't been driven an appreciable amount for upward of five years and I had no qualms hopping in to go coloraso to San Fran lastly As the previous post mentioned to get a response you are going to have to give specific concerns or issues to troubleshoot or else I think the appropriate response is the old addage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Issues that would make me not want to keep my 1998, also with low miles is if there were salvage title. Even then these are built to last 25 years in a third world country so barring serious neglect I'd keep it.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 with slightly over 200,000 miles. I would not hesitate to drive across the country with it tomorrow. Granted, I've had it since new and know exactly what has been done to it. With yours, I'd make sure the major stuff has been done and replace bushings as needed.

I'm sure there are a few on this forum that would gladly come to you and purchase your "OLD" worn out truck.

While I believe the 100 looks better than the 200, I'd also like to have a 200 if I could justify it. I can't based on how good my "OLD" 100 is.

I have 220K miles on my 2000 LC and my friend has 260K miles on his 2000 LX. His LX is a smooth running, great riding SUV. Lots of miles left on yours.
If you have $$ you have to spend, go for a 200, otherwise stick with the 100.

As an owner of 2000 100 series and an 09 200, I can say both have been very reliable. I wouldn’t hesitate to jump in the 2000 (w/207k miles on it) and drive it across America (given the current conditions, I thought about if I had to do it, which Of the two would be my loyal horse? then common sense kicks in, we are riding it out). Don’t tell my wife but I’d take the 100.

Now, to say those 207k have come without proper maintenance would be a lie. I feel like today, at 207k this car has another 200k in it easy because I’ve gone out of my way to make sure it is fully sorted. Has it left me stranded, no, but probably because I address the few things that would eventually fail. My initial list of things to look into for beginners:

timing belt/water pump
Heater T’s
starter
Alternator
Spark plugs
Diff oil/transfer case oil/ transmission oil changed multiple times
Fuel filter

mine is a north west car that has avoided rust but I do have my pennies saved up for the steering rack and brake cylinder failure that seem to be common issues and expensive to fix.

if you get around to doing that, these cars will reward you and last forever but it is work to get there.

the 200 has the same track record but for what I believe to be the same reason (preventive maintenance). 200’s have some unique issues that are similar to the 100 but slightly more complex/expensive to fix (eg, starter, radiator).

we had gx460 (150 series) and liked it. Nothing in that car would indicate it wouldn’t do the same miles as the 100 but the size of the 100 & 200 is more my preference.

I just checked out your transmission thread.

You should have your mechanic fix it, and then you should sell it. Buy something you don't need to work on. It's 20 years old and will need some things.

I just checked out your transmission thread.

You should have your mechanic fix it, and then you should sell it. Buy something you don't need to work on. It's 20 years old and will need some things.

Hi, the transmission is good. The problem was with the bearings which came out of the axle and the axle was freely rotating. We had an accident a few years ago and the repair shop did a poor job.
Other than that, the vehicle has not given me any problem

Hi, the transmission is good. The problem was with the bearings which came out of the axle and the axle was freely rotating. We had an accident a few years ago and the repair shop did a poor job.
Other than that, the vehicle has not given me any problem

I understand - I'm providing my information based on experience. Any older Land Cruiser should; IMO, be owner maintained. Otherwise it is going to cost you far more than its worth in the years that follow.

It not giving you any problems can be looked at different ways, but in my mind it's probably an indicator that it might be about to. If you have done wheel bearing grease/repack every 30-50k, t-belt/wp kit done on time, coolant, brake fluid, diff, trans, transfer case, etc. Fluid exchanges at recommended intervals, you might be ok.

Radiator, cooling hoses, steering rack, suspension bushings, boots for ball joints, tie rods, steering rack seals, etc. all start to show age.

My cruiser is a year older than yours and has more miles (but still well under 200k). These are the things that I see going, and that have been worked on, on my vehicle. I've been very fortunate, in that the previous owner was very diligent about maintenance. He ended up absorbing a lot of these larger expenses as well right before I bought the LC years ago from him.

This is before we even start talking about the brake master cylinder on these things.

I purchased a 2002 2 years ago with 230k miles, one owner in Texas so no corrosion at all. I spent $2500 at my mechanic having all,fluids, filters, new radiator, front pinion bearing, heater t’s, new battery, plugs, all new Flamma Coils, etc... gone through. This vehicle is for my teenage daughter. It now has 250k. Miles and runs like a top and gets compliments everywhere it goes to boot.

I have found with these Toyota’s as long as you do things preventively and the rig does not have a lot of corrosion you really can run these indefinitely. I learned years ago from an airplane mechanic that they will “refurbish” and airline chassis 5-7 times before scrapping. By taking a high quality rig like a Land Cruiser and spending the time and money to do a major PM every 200-250k miles you can run them until a major accident or corrosion takes over.

Just my 2 cents.

EA078632-7B69-4344-B10B-7C3AC58ACC8C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom