Builds "Red Lobster" Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On friday I noticed a coolant leak under the car as well as slightly higher temps than normal on the highway at around 205F. I realized that the smaller coolant hose that connects to the throttle body had a small cut in it and it was leaking on the cylinder cover and down the block. It probably cut a little abrasion on the old line when I replaced the cylinder cover gasket and the pressure caused it to bust after some time. After a trip to the toyota dealer for parts the next day I had it back and good to go with an oil change. Now I have replaced all the hoses but the PHH so only time will tell for when that blows, but I have already purchased the PHH assembly line to change it once I do the oil cover gasket, distributor, and front main as well as the thermostat, water pump, and blue fan clutch. I will probably need to do that sooner rather than later.

I also got tired of all my tools being in either the tailgate, rear side panels, or just laying around in the rear cargo area. So I gathered all the tools that were in the miscellaneous places around my truck

And put them in this tiny overpriced yeti box...

Then I strapped it in the back so it wouldn't kill me in a wreck

Despite the box being pretty tiny, it was really all I needed for the tools I carry which are most of the tools necessary to do trail repairs for pretty much anything I can think of that isn't too major. I still have spare seals, hub nuts, trunion bearings, grease/oil/coolant, and some stock hose in my truck in the side panels and tailgate, but that stuff doesn't really weigh a whole lot and doesn't get moved too much. My goal was to lighten the tailgate, since it use to be super heavy, but now it barely has anything in it besides an axe and a torque wrench.

Very nice build so far! I am amazed with how much room you have in the trunk. I just sold my 4Runner, and am getting an 80, so I am very pleased to see I will have space.

Very nice build so far! I am amazed with how much room you have in the trunk. I just sold my 4Runner, and am getting an 80, so I am very pleased to see I will have space.

There is a lot of space back there. Just toss the third row seats and you’ll be set. The other storage stuff helps keep it clean too. Used to be a mess

Yesterday I finished welding the remaining gussets, stops, and tabs onto the bumper and finally got the tire mounted to see how it looks.

The 35 looks so small mounted up there i need 37s already... It's exactly what i was going for though.

I'm happy with how it turned out. The tire matches the hatch perfectly to make it seem at home up there.

Here the swing out is fully opened and hitting the spindle stopper.

Awesome bumper build!!! I wanted to ask you about the swing arm. Are you doing anything to keep it in the open position like a spring loaded pull pin or a gas strut? Just something so it doesn't sway back and forth or slam shut on a hill or slant. The gas struts 4x4 Labs provides are nice and beefy but those things will go flying out if you don't carry them and they take some effort to close. I'm thinking of going with a lighter duty gas strut with a spring loaded pin to keep the swing arm out in the open position.

Awesome bumper build!!! I wanted to ask you about the swing arm. Are you doing anything to keep it in the open position like a spring loaded pull pin or a gas strut? Just something so it doesn't sway back and forth or slam shut on a hill or slant. The gas struts 4x4 Labs provides are nice and beefy but those things will go flying out if you don't carry them and they take some effort to close. I'm thinking of going with a lighter duty gas strut with a spring loaded pin to keep the swing arm out in the open position.

thanks! I dont have anything right now so it swings all willy nilly around if on a hill. I have enough vertical space to use the labs strut but never got around to ordering it. i'll probably add it at some point. I guess flying out is only good if they stop, but i understand the pushing it in. you might be able to figure out what the labs strut is rated for and get a similar length/throw with less force on McMaster carr. If you can fab stuff, you can make any of those work on there, but it gets tricky when you need the exact kind. I like the idea of a spring pin bit you really need a stainless plate for it to slide on or it'll ruin you paint/powdercoating. If you could find something, i'd say go for it.

thanks! I dont have anything right now so it swings all willy nilly around if on a hill. I have enough vertical space to use the labs strut but never got around to ordering it. i'll probably add it at some point. I guess flying out is only good if they stop, but i understand the pushing it in. you might be able to figure out what the labs strut is rated for and get a similar length/throw with less force on McMaster carr. If you can fab stuff, you can make any of those work on there, but it gets tricky when you need the exact kind. I like the idea of a spring pin bit you really need a stainless plate for it to slide on or it'll ruin you paint/powdercoating. If you could find something, i'd say go for it.

Yeah the gas struts 4x4 uses are crazy strong, rated at 150lbs. The stock 4x4 Labs bumper have a cam stop which is nothing more than an elevated metal bump but if you accidentally let the arms fly it will basically just slam against them and dent the steel and ruin the powder coat. I'm typically very careful about opening the arms but it has slipped a few times which caused some minor damage but nothing bad. I also have zero fab skills so I'll probably be looking to have a pro weld on the pull pin along with a stainless steel plate. While I love the strength, look, and clearance of the 4x4 Labs I am definitely inspired by some of the DIY swing arms with added customizations and personal touches that just make the bumper even better. Thanks for the tips!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom