Recommendations for a accurate tire gauge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got a dial type from Walmart -the best one they had- for about $15.
(Buy one that has a good disinflating system on it!)
Unfortunately, the needle is now bent at the tip from hitting the stop when I release the pressure. Not too good. Still usable.
When comparing the readings to other gauges they were generally in good agreement.
I don't think high accuracy is critical. Repeatability is more important.
I don't care whether I'm running 32 or 34 psi since I'm guessing what to use anyway.
I like dial. Would be nice to have one that can do truck tires as well as RV tires, though.

I have not had good luck with any digital gauges, with every one failing.

I don't think high accuracy is critical. Repeatability is more important.
I don't care whether I'm running 32 or 34 psi since I'm guessing what to use anyway.

Yes and no. Just a quick example. I was wheeling with a friend and he aired down to what he thought was 15psi. All was fine until he was bouncing all over the place and wondering why he had so little traction on the rocks. I had inquired as to why if his tires were 15psi they hadn't started to bag out. I gave him my gauge and to his surprise his tires were 24psi. His Walmart tire gauge was so far off it wasn't funny. I agree with with 1 or 2 psi difference but something this far off is unsafe. In his case he was basing road psi on this same gauge that was this far off. So what he thought was 35psi was significantly higher and exceeded the tire mfg's recommendations.

I have a Campbell-Hausfeld digital ($10) that I bought at either Home Depot or Walmart and have been very satisfied with it. Much better than any of the pen style guages I have used and appears to be very consistant. If I read a pressure, turn it off then reread it is always the same to .5 psi. Much better than my other gauges.

My pencil gauges are now relegated to deflation duty. Something my digital does not do at all.

I have a Campbell-Hausfeld digital ($10) that I bought at either Home Depot or Walmart and have been very satisfied with it. Much better than any of the pen style guages I have used and appears to be very consistant. If I read a pressure, turn it off then reread it is always the same to .5 psi. Much better than my other gauges.

My pencil gauges are now relegated to deflation duty. Something my digital does not do at all.

I am not sure of the particular gauge, I have had two from the same company fail. :crybaby:

I have had failure with digital ones from Costco, Sam's, local auto shops and have discarded about 8-10 total. I am unsure what the problem would be--heat or vibration?

Last edited:

Nice find. That test ought to be part of the FAQ's. It's a thorough test for motorcyclists who depend on accurate tire pressure more tham most any other group/activity. (description for anyone who doesn't like to follow links)

I have had failure with digital ones from Costco, Sam's, local auto shops and have discarded about 8-10 total. I am unsure what the problem would be--heat or vibration?

Mine is still pretty new so hopefully it'll last.

Mine is still pretty new so hopefully it'll last.

I really like the convenience, the backlit features on some and the bling of digital. For some reason, mine seem to have had very poor reliability. :frown:

I placed an order for a few of the higher rated ones from one of the links in this post. I couldn't find the same Griot model on their website and left that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom