Rebuilding a 3B, with a Turbo. - Thoughts on 13BTvs3B, and looking for rebuild Kit info. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am looking for a rebuild kit for my 3B, also looking for a 13BT exhaust manifold since i will be adding a turbo.

The thing is, i remember reading that the CR of the 13bt is around 17:1 while the 3B is 20:1.

Now, while beer-surfing websites for parts i started wondering, do the pistons af a 13bt have deeper centers on the top?
Or is the difference in the head?

If the pistons are different, Is there a reason to think about 13BT pistons in to a 3b?
Since i think they have the same diameter..

And btw, can you reccomend any rebuild kits?

The best options that i have found now is the following:
*Edit*
Cant post links,
-Aussie 3b rebuild kit from ebay. (ebay search: Diesel Engine Rebuild Kit - Toyota Landcruiser BJ42 3B - All models 8/80-8/84)
-Manifold from "extremebends" - Model: 17141-58011 (You know what to add after extremebends to get a website..)

Best regards!

Never done a 3b to added turbo, but if like the 2H to 12HT there will things like added piston oil squirting, different pistons & compression, precups and different IP settings, oil & water cooling ports for the turbo connections need to be added. But a lot have people have added turbo's to 3B's, just don't turn the boost up to high and watch the exhaust temps.

There are few build here, search and you will find them.

Difference between the 3B and 13BT is that the 3B is an IDI diesel and the 13BT a DI diesel, hence the difference in CR. Head of 13BT is different as it has no precups or glowplugs. It uses a heated screen in the intake manifold. Pistons are different, injectors are different.

Add a turbo to a 3B and it turns into a totally different animal, it goes really well then.
I thought Engines Australia does good rebuilt kits, and Diesel42 on this forum does a very well matched turbo setup for a lot less than the others, includes basically all that's needed (inc manifold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom