Builds Rebuild of Trusty (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I shim out the PS box I will have to shim the shock towers out more so that the PS box can move towards the fire wall as much as possible to get the relay rod as close to parallel as possible.

MOCKED UP PS AND SHOCK TOWER.jpg

The new flywheel bolts were delivered today

Torqued to 80ft/lbs

1707511813297.jpeg

New clutch disc engine facing side. This is a HD fortified clutch for H diesels that have the same size flywheel clutch disc as the 2F do. Terrain Tamer did not know it would work until they measured 11" the same as I did of the old disc and 10 spline for the H55F or H41/2 transmissions.

ENGINE SIDE OF THE CLUTCH DISC.jpg

Clutch installed and torqued the 8mm bolts to 15 ft/lb

CLUTCH INSTALLED.jpg

Packed the grove in the TO hub with bearing grease

PACKED THE TO HUB WITH GREASE.jpg

Attached the TO bearing to the fork with new retaining clips

ATTATCHED THE TO BEARING TO THE FORK WITH NEW CLIPS.jpg

Last edited:
Power cord was just delivered and now the block heater is complete. The one Cummins sells for this motor was very short and expensive, this one is the same as a 6.7 block heater and was less then $40 with 6' cord. Will need to use a tyrap once I know how much cord will be needed. Will be ready for cold Wyoming winters.

BLOCK HEATER COMPLETE.jpg

Worked on attaching the gear boxes to the bell housing. Got the TO bearing hub lined up onto the bearing cover snout and checked that it is not bound up.

Worked on getting everything aligned and square to start the input shaft through the clutch to the pilot bearing. Put some grease on the pilot journal to help with insertion.

Used alignment bars to get the two faces aligned.

1707606738311.jpeg

The input shaft would not allow the transmission to get any closer then about 1-3/8" between the faces. Went a got 4 M12x1.25 bolts about 2 inches long and used them to pull the transmission up until the threads ran out on the shank.

USED LONGER BOLTS TO PULL THE TRANSMISSION UP.jpg

Switched to the right bolts and used them to pull it the rest of the way in. I kept checking the spline engagement by rotating the flywheel with a sleever bar against the bell housing and was getting rotation at the parking brake before engaging the dowels. Then pulled the rest of way up and torqued the bolts to 80 ft lb.

1707607528160.jpeg

GEAR BOXES REATTATCHED TO THE BELL HOUSING.jpg

Worked on getting the assembly. The transmission jack was not rolling the assembly so it took longer then it should have. The water valve for the heater will be replaced.

Cleared the firewall of tubing or other items that are not needed. Remove the parking brake mount from the firewall also since it is being replaced with a floor lever.

CLEARED THE FIREWALL OF ANYTHING THAT WONT BE USED.jpg

Used a small hydraulic jack to roll the transfer case.

1707703894483.jpeg

Got set down on the front motor mounts

SET DOWN ON THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNTS.jpg

Installed the rear mount on the transmission torqued to 80ft lbs

INSTALLED THE MOTOR MOUNT ON THE TRANSMISSION.jpg

Installed the crossmember

1707704600474.jpeg

Put the front tires back on then torqued the bottom nuts on the front motor mounts

BACK ON THE ALL 4 WHEELS.jpg

I have spent the last two days working on the cooling stack. The radiator support was badly tweaked so that to get it as straight as I could.

Fitted the support and radiator with the shroud. The radiator is a 4 core and the shroud is for the spall fan.

1713231284518.jpeg

Bought new pads and hard ware for the radiator support and chased the threads of the studs.

1713232054992.jpeg

Set the radiator and support in the mounts and it is leaning back so will need to check the studs for square. More tweaks to be made getting this support right.

1713232226607.jpeg

Roughing in the first angle iron

1713232387503.jpeg

Drilled and set 2 riv-nuts.

1713232544037.jpeg

Took everything back apart and cut off the cross bar and the top mesh

1713232668712.jpeg

Ground off the spot welds and metal flush with the support and see the twist

1713232827351.jpeg

Had to open the hole up for the drain valve to clear

1713232985276.jpeg

Before putting the intercooler and radiator I put the support in the workmate and tried to get as much of the twist out.

The cooling stack and support assembled. The radiator fit much better after tweaking and assembling the intercooler supports

1713233383059.jpeg

Intercooler mounted. Have to trim the angle iron and get it ready to paint.

1713233553335.jpeg

Today I took the radiator and the intercooler out of the support and trimmed the angle iron and hit it with a wire wheel and painted the support.

1713402948184.jpeg

Checked the support studs and they were square with the bottom of the support then looked closer at the the mounts on the frame and they were slopped down.

I got some 3 inch by 1/8" C channel and made some extensions to move the cooling stack toward the motor. I took measurements and decided on a length of the channel and where to put the holes to mount to the frame and for the support. I decided to drill and tap for jacking bolts to adjust the plumb of the stack. Then got some flat bar that fit in the channel to make shims for the radiator support to set on. Used my layout dye to get the holes laid out.

1713403485859.jpeg

1713403672396.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom