Rear Window weatherstrip gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed that (on both sides) on the rearmost sliding windows, the rubber weather stripping has a gap (.125") on the back middle edge about 1/2 way up. I am guessing this is where the strip ends and begins. I was going to seal it up with some silicone or Lexell or something (I am not going to replace the whole window seal now) but I just wanted to make sure it is not there on purpose - some kind of evaporative vent for water that gets in there or something. Does anybody know? Does anybody else have this? Thanks all and Happy New Year - I got a baby coming so I am trying to do all the little things I wont be able to do soon! :p

i've got the same gap, but mine is about 1/4 inch. same on both sides, so i figured it's normal. it doesn't seem to leak.

all mine do as well as a pair of fj60/2 sliders I have to install. Why I don't know but I think it's normal.

Mine has it also. But mine was leaking water onto the jack and tool kit. I have not noticed any leak on the other side. Haven't really had time to do anything about it yet.

That happens with age, the older the strip, the more it shrinks. A new weather strip butts togther. Mine also have about a 7/16 inch gap (original, 11 years old)

A gap there usually doesn't result in water in the quarter panel. More often it leaks in around the clips that hold the belt moulding on.

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=9457;start=msg82686#msg82686 date=1072902496]
Mine has it also. But mine was leaking water onto the jack and tool kit. I have not noticed any leak on the other side. Haven't really had time to do anything about it yet.
[/quote]EXACTLY what that was doing!! My floor jack got all messed up and I guess that drainage hole was clogged,.... on both sides!! Anyways, I cleaned the jack somewhat and got the back rust off and reprimered. I'm going to ask my brother to primer the jack since this thread has been brought up...

BTW-I think the gap was letting air escape and got annoying when I was driving on the highway without the radio and a/c going. The day I found rust was when I stuck some piece of napkin and I haven't heard the sound again. Oh yeah, i'm going to put a small piece of rubber in there when I get home...

cruiserdan said:
A gap there usually doesn't result in water in the quarter panel. More often it leaks in around the clips that hold the belt moulding on.

It's exactly the problem I have now. What would be the best fix for this? :D Help... pls... :confused:

see recent thread on this.
Dan, your offer still stands to cut a seal up?
E

e9999 said:
see recent thread on this.
Dan, your offer still stands to cut a seal up?
E

If I get enough people interested. A complete gasket is about 50 bucks net.

cruiserdan said:
If I get enough people interested. A complete gasket is about 50 bucks net.

OK, will start a thread...
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom