Rear Window Regulator and Motor for Dummies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MemphisTLC

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Obligatory I’ve searched the site using both the internal search function and Google. Nothing. YouTube: nothing.

Looking for a detailed video of how to install the rear window regulator and motor on my 2005 LC. Any help is appreciated.

There's a really good front door panel removal thread in the FAQ, you could use that as a guide. Could also download the FSM from the resources, may not be your exact year, but close enough, there's no difference really in years for that.

It’s so easy… just get the door panel off.. remove three bolts and loosen the fourth (top), disconnect one plug and pull the reg. off the glass.. the whole assembly comes out. Reinstall is reverse.. just wedge something in between the door and glass to keep the glass at 1/2 down to make installing the track visible. This is a good opportunity to clean and lube the track and runners while it’s apart

It’s so easy… just get the door panel off.. remove three bolts and loosen the fourth (top), disconnect one plug and pull the reg. off the glass.. the whole assembly comes out. Reinstall is reverse.. just wedge something in between the door and glass to keep the glass at 1/2 down to make installing the track visible. This is a good opportunity to clean and lube the track and runners while it’s apart
Related: Have you removed the motor from the regulator? I think i have a dead RR motor...

Related: Have you removed the motor from the regulator? I think i have a dead RR motor...
How to Diagnose Power Window Problem - Is the Switch or Motor Bad?

How to Replace Rear Window Regulator Motor 00-07 Toyota Highlander

First link above explains how to use a circuit tester to determine problem. The second link is the best example I could find of a repair similar to our rear door design. I've removed both the motor and regulator. This is how I diagnosed mine after watching a number of different videos: I got a circuit tester and made sure there was power at the switch (the flexible wiring between the door can fray). Next, I tested the switch from the other rear door and got no reaction. To ensure I didn't have two problems instead of one I connected the switch from the dead door to the working door. It worked as it should. Motor appeared rusted round the housing and the rotor. The teeth on the regulator looked fairly worn down as well versus images of new OEM examples. IMPORTANT NOTE: based on my research here and other LC sites we DO NOT need to remove the glass, weather stripping or channel to repair and replace the motor and/or regulator in our LCs. I supported my window in the fully up position with painters tape and a wooden dowel while I removed the the regulator and motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom