x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helpful tip #1: During disassembly, put marks on the swing arms and the frame. This will ensure you get the track parallel to the tailgate:eek: I forgot and had to spend another 10 minutes trying to get the arms alligned right:eek:

:

instead of marking, clamp one of the arms to the back plate with a vice grip. no need to try match up the arms then.

License Plate Attachment

John,

I wanted to add a question to your already excellent thread on tailgates restoration:

With many tailgates having rust issues....I wondered what some folks were doing about attaching a license plate. Mine is rusty so I can't affix the tag unless I look to drill some holes in the previous spots in order to manage getting the tag on. I want to avoid drilling in adjacent areas to avoid promoting further risk of rust. Haven't tried forcing in some plastic screw anchors but am considering. If you don't want this attached to your thread I'll delete...I've noticed some other tailgates that look as though they have similar problems for using the original position for the tag. Thanks, Dave

*will try and post up pics of my tailgate tomorrow

John:
When I tore into my tailgate, the junction block was toast as per usual from what I hear. I found one made of a hard plastic material at NAPA, part no. JB3111, for about $8 with the right number of connections. It was the same design but a bit shorter. so I had to drill one new hole on the inside mounting point. Works fine.
Jim

They still make the junction for the tailgate, I just bought one from toyota when I redid my tailgate.

Part Number 82670-30020 Block Assembly

They still make the junction for the tailgate, I just bought one from toyota when I redid my tailgate.

Part Number 82670-30020 Block Assembly

Y'know, in this one particular case, I can see where a modest upgrade may be in order....those OEM junctions only last 20 or 30 years, maybe less.
These new-fangled junctions appear to be made of space-age components and may work even better and last even longer. Pray, tell, how much money does one have to pay to acquire a stock tailgate junction?

What is the hook for?

image-4291998328.jpg

What is the hook for?

Well, it's usually not a hook, it's usually "L" shaped...It's part of some safety feature that I never paid much attention to. Supposedly, the lower end of the glass pushes it down, which moves a little linkage which allows the tailgate handle to work at unlatching the tailgate. So you can't open the tailgate with the glass still up, or some such nonsense.

Yup figured it out pretty silly design.

Busted two nylon gears.

Needing a replacement.

Anyone ever destroy the channel that the nylon wheels on the regulator arms that connect to the channel the tailgate glass sits in ??

Looks as if there were pins at the bottom of the glass channel that keep all aligned ?

Yup figured it out pretty silly design.

Busted two nylon gears.

Needing a replacement.

Anyone ever destroy the channel that the nylon wheels on the regulator arms that connect to the channel the tailgate glass sits in ??

Looks as if there were pins at the bottom of the glass channel that keep all aligned ?

Is your channel destroyed? Or the wheels? I have heard of people finding replacement wheels in the cabinetry section of home improvement stores. For the channel, I think you are hitting the classifieds...

Does anyone know how to change a manual window winder to an electric one? I had mine apart the other day and mechanism looks very similar to this one you are doing up (without the motor and gearbox). I was wondering if I needed the motor and gearbox or the whole mechanism?
Im in Australia so smaller postage is better.

Does anyone know how to change a manual window winder to an electric one? I had mine apart the other day and mechanism looks very similar to this one you are doing up (without the motor and gearbox). I was wondering if I needed the motor and gearbox or the whole mechanism?
Im in Australia so smaller postage is better.

It is a pretty big/heavy assembly with the motor built into the window regulator.

I am stumped. I am a new pig owner. My rear window worked last week. It now is giveing me a click noise when I push the button up or down, but no action. I cleaned the wire block and it looks great. Can't seem to find the tailgate safety switch, wondering if that might be the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom