Rear winch mounting systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tonkacruiser.com
Have my winch for the arse of my cruiser and I'm wondering how to mount it. I've been thinking of a plate that I could bolt to the underside of the frame and then the winch to the top of the plate, but think I would get a real build up of mud on it. Anyone have a pic of how they mount thiers? I want to have it sort of hidden that will allow the cable to exit through the rear bumper. Any thoughts on it will help.

TIA, Chris

One of my buddies has his rear winch on a receiver unit that plugs into the trailer hitch reciever. It stores in the back of the rig so he only has it on when it is needed.

Second that emotion, receiver hitch. But make sure it is tied into the frame, sturdy-like. You don't want all that hanging off the back until you need it.
Ed Long ;)

I've always thought a rear mounted winch would be cool. I think the best solution would involve a bunch of fab - basicly boxing it in like a wagon ARB bumper to keep it protected/clean. another option would be to mount it and have a sheetmetal cover which could be removed if you needed access to the winch.

If anyone has pics, I'd like to see them also out of curiosity.

I seen alot of the euro trials rovers(defenders) and stuff mount a 8274 in the bed, cut a hole in the tailgate and run it thru.....not a great solution for most of use, but prolly the best set up.

OK the bed mount, I like it, but where do you put the beer cooler? ;)
Ed

Seen a couple front/rear reciever setups. That looks like the easiest and cleanest way to go IMOP.

hope this helps
have enclosed 2 photos
1, my winch on the front of my BJ
2, the same winch fitted on a friends car that they use for the RFC in Malaysia,
The winch is fitted under the chassi at the rear on two pieces of angle welded to the frame,you must have at least a 4in lift or SOA to fit it properly ,the gear is locked in drive all the time,so its power out n in and the remote is fixed in the cab,there is a removable plate in the floor to get acess if you want to changethe gear or maintain,it doesnt take up any rear floor space n its rated at 10,000#
the winchs came off the new land cruiser that fit through the bumper
Regds
Ron :cheers:
I am now looking for another to fit to mine

pic of my friends car with the winch fitted at the back[sorry dont have a photo of the installation under neath

Here is a truck I saw

Here is another

And another

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=11049;start=msg99502#msg99502 date=1075953466]
OK the bed mount, I like it, but where do you put the beer cooler? ;)
Ed
[/quote]

I like a man who has his priorities in order! :beer:

This is sort of what I'm thinking. have one bolt towards the front that is higher and is used as a pivot bolt. Use 4 through bolts on each side through a re-enforced frame. The cable will exit through the bumper. Then I would be able to remove those 8 bolts and rotate it down for maintenance and cleaning. I know it won't be the easiest way to clean it but with bracing on the plate and good mounting it should work out real nice. Just a thought, any other ideas on it will help the final result.

Thanks, Chris

Build a sheet metal housing around the winch to help keep out most of the mud/water and grime...it should help..maybe not perfect but better than if you didn't have anything...

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom