Rear suspension bottoming out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have replaced the air bags suspension on my 1st gen Limited 2007 springs and with 5100's shocks. The Tree was bottoming out before and is still doing it now. Not sure if both shocks and coils to small not enough travel? I stumped. Just ordered the parts below and will be replacing but wanted to know where I went wrong.
  • OME2862 x 1 Pair Rear Coil Springs
  • OME60020L x 2 Rear Shock Absorbers

The original rubber internal bumpers are functionally also overload springs. When you replace with airbags, you'll need to keep a minimum air pressure in them to prevent bottoming out. My guess is that there was not enough residual air pressure to prevent hard bottoms on the secondary bump stops. Needs at least 5psi. I don't remember what I used in my 4Runner - but they're the same setup. The alternative is a longer and softer frame side bump stop. The GX460 with air suspension uses that as an alternative because the Toyota OEM air springs lack an internal bump stop. On the 4Runner you can just buy the GX air spring model bumps and swap them. I don't remember if the Sequoia was offered with air suspension in that generation, if so you can probably find the OEM solution pretty reasonably or find aftermarket bump stops that are softer.

The other possible issue would be if your 5100 rear shocks have too long of a compressed length and are bottoming out harshly. This can also happen with a manufacturing defect where the internal floating piston is installed incorrectly and makes contact with the shock piston. It would be almost impossible to identify that error without cutting them apart though. Best thing you could do for the shocks to check would be just verifying the part numbers to make sure they aren't accidentally the wrong ones sent to you or possible ones for a lift when you are at stock height.

Good luck

Hey guys,

I have replaced the air bags suspension on my 1st gen Limited 2007 springs and with 5100's shocks. The Tree was bottoming out before and is still doing it now. Not sure if both shocks and coils to small not enough travel? I stumped. Just ordered the parts below and will be replacing but wanted to know where I went wrong.
  • OME2862 x 1 Pair Rear Coil Springs
  • OME60020L x 2 Rear Shock Absorbers
5100s aren't valved to support your AHC factory air coils. You need to run a factory shock or rancho 9000s on at least 6.

If you are going with a coil replacement for the AHC, you need the spring buckets

I’ve only had it in a100 series, and drove the 2006 470 with AHC back to back with my OME equipped 1999 UZJ 100. I’d take the ‘99 every time over the LX. I prefer to drive a more truck feeling vehicle.
Granted, the LX470 might be set up differently than the Sequoia AHC, and yours is not stock, is it J?

Thanks guys for input! I removed the AHC and going with the OME springs/shocks 100 series setup. Not sure what the spring buckets are

Thanks guys for input! I removed the AHC and going with the OME springs/shocks 100 series setup. Not sure what the spring buckets are

Check out junk yards if an option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom