Rear storage rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if you could pick up one of those TruckBeds inflatable matress' and have that span the height difference. That way you wouldn't have a big board clanking around. That would be compact when deflated so you could use the seats and the storage area while driving around and then move your gear and put the matress down. It woudl also be less hard on the leather on the seats.

Watch your head :cheers:
I put an inflatable mattress in mine and it cut the head room down by 6"
Great stuff Trent, Did you and Royal work together on this? I havent seen anything from him, But he mentioned a removable rack.
Good luck

Watch your head :cheers:
I put an inflatable mattress in mine and it cut the head room down by 6"
Great stuff Trent, Did you and Royal work together on this? I havent seen anything from him, But he mentioned a removable rack.
Good luck

The great thing about being 5'4" is I don't worry about head room :)

Royal mentioned something about a rack or drawer system as a winter project, but I think he's been ice climbing too much. Back when we both first got our 80's 5 years ago we discussed several options for rear storage. I'm not sure he even knows I built it. I'll post it over on Wasatch.

I picked up some metal tie down points today and am going to weld those on tonight. I am also going to weld on some threaded tabs in the first section of the rack so that I can attach an ABS panel to it. My kids like to sit in the back at lunch on the trail. It gives them a little shade. My roof rack will have two slide out bars for an awning so that may move them outside the cruiser as well. Projects are always evolving. we'll see if I have it done for the trip next weekend.

Trent - I love that idea. I'm looking for a way to organize things when up the trail. Those would be a help in deciding what drawers I want. Bout what is the height to the bottom ? And do you have any measurements, I think I'm pay a buddy to weld up a rack and find some rear seat mounts to hold everything in place.

Again that rocks and looks lightweight !

Thanks,
I will remount it tonight and measure again, but I am pretty sure that the clearance under the rack is 9". It rises a little above the seat mounts. I believe Adventure trailers drawers are right below 9" leaving that an option if I don't build my own sometime.

Hey tltaylor: Thanks for the pictures. I like this idea. I may pirate it. :)

Thanks,
I will remount it tonight and measure again, but I am pretty sure that the clearance under the rack is 9". It rises a little above the seat mounts. I believe Adventure trailers drawers are right below 9" leaving that an option if I don't build my own sometime.

Another option is to leave it like it is and use Action Packers or Rubbermaid bins or those "under the bed" rubber storage boxes. The advantages are that you can have several different boxes with content based on what type of trip you are taking;
3 week expedition to Baja, take all the spare parts, the "other" tool box, and the box with fluids.
Long weekend trip: take the main tool box, the recovery gear box, and the chuck box.
Short day trip in the rocks: tools, spares, recovery.

I really like the idea and the concept of a secured, metal, "false floor" where you can stack boxes and things on top and strap them down, then have a storage area underneath for things that are less likely to be used or that need to be well secured. The design feature of being able to remove it quickly is very appealing. In fact, you might be able to use the factory brackets that go on the seats to give a no-tools removal.

Great idea!

-B-

Another option is to leave it like it is and use Action Packers or Rubbermaid bins or those "under the bed" rubber storage boxes. The advantages are that you can have several different boxes with content based on what type of trip you are taking;
3 week expedition to Baja, take all the spare parts, the "other" tool box, and the box with fluids.
Long weekend trip: take the main tool box, the recovery gear box, and the chuck box.
Short day trip in the rocks: tools, spares, recovery.

I really like the idea and the concept of a secured, metal, "false floor" where you can stack boxes and things on top and strap them down, then have a storage area underneath for things that are less likely to be used or that need to be well secured. The design feature of being able to remove it quickly is very appealing. In fact, you might be able to use the factory brackets that go on the seats to give a no-tools removal.

Great idea!

-B-

Funny, I pulled out my wifes "under the bed storage totes" last night and started heading down that same thought process. I like the idea. I'll check on the Action Packer sizes as I like those as well.

I really like the idea of using the original seat-seat brackets, but couldn't find a second pair as I still need the originals on my seats. I sold my 93 and sent the seats with it, but I may hit up the new owner as I don't think he'll be using them. The flaw in the Split collar is access to the allen bolts. I angled them so I could get at them from the underside, but it's not near as user friendly as the OEM brackets.

:). I plan on pirating many things from this sight. If people's rigs were business ideas, my truck would eventually be a rolling copyright infringement.

So here are a few pictures of the "final" version. I haven't painted it as I want to do a run or two with it incase I need to change something. all the tie downs are welded on and the plastic shelf on mounted in the rear most third of the rack. I figured chucked some 1" round bar on the lathe and made the front mounts so they slide into the OEM seat bracket. Seems to be very solid. I have to correct what I said about the height of the rack. It has 9 1/2" clearance under the rack. The 3/4" HREW was .088 thick. I think you could get away with .065 wall and save some wt. I'm going to order in a few sticks of thinner wall and play around with it. I helped a guy make some seats out of .065 wall before and I think it would be fine.
P1030269.jpg
P1030270.jpg
P1030271.jpg

two more
P1030272.jpg
P1030273.jpg

How much do you want for your rack?... I might need one If I can get PCS orders to alaska, If I get my way...

Storage Rack

Taylor, cool storage rack.

Add me to the list of people who would buy one of these.

How much for one...???

Ha ha! Trent... I sense a possible side business. DIY rack kits ala, 4X4 Labs type deals. :). But seriously... how much. ;)

I in no way intended to make more than one of these for myself. I did get talked into making one for a local friend of mine one in the next two weeks. When I build it, I'll look at making a pattern and let everyone know if I'll be able to make them. I'll post up when I get done. Like I said before, feel free to copy and improve on what I did.

ok, being the friend who is now the proud owner of one of these racks I thought I'd post up. I was in a hurry to get loaded to get out of town so I didn't do a super great job on the painting, but you can get the idea of what it looks like from these pictures. I mounted an old fridge slide I had on the top of the rack. Fridge sits a little high but eliminates the wasted space above it.
The welding job Trent did was awesome. Fit was perfect, precise enough to be used in my Lexus ;).
I plan on using it this weekend and giving Trent any feedback on changes I would make on future racks.
IMG_1509 (Small).JPG
IMG_1510 (Small).JPG
IMG_1511 (Small).JPG

Trent thank you for this great idea. I will be stealing it and possibly have my friend build it with aluminum to help with weight. Might work might not, either way I really like it its cool.

looks great, I was thinking of doing something similar, I was planning on using square tubing though as I don't have a bender, I may however bend the tubing using some heat and an old rotor in a vice. My concern with your design though would be a failure point in the middle of the rack? do you think this rack can carry the weight it needs to and not have problems with the center section? when I thought about building this I figured I would need to make some type of "stands" that come down and bolt into the stock holes where the 3rd row seats attache to. with the family I carry alot of weight and plan to have the 110 pound lab back there.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom