rear main seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Frustration!
I'd love to pull the whole engine/trans/transfer then lift the tub for resto, but my funds are tight and I don't want to miss my fishing season coming up. I'd like to wait and do it later, but the leak bothers me.

It runs so good now, but just has the darn leak.

I've done clutch jobs but not on 4 wheel drive.

How hard is it to seperate the trans/transfer to get to the rear main seal?

Is there a good jack made for this that I could rent or buy that would make it easy? Like from Harbor Freight?

help, jim

here's how I did it though its been awhile since I did it with a body in place.

jack up all corners, put on stands, so I can sit up under it.

remove skid plate, drive shafts, transmission shifter.

Then put a floor jack on a furniture dolly. attach floor jack with strap or old seat belt to transmission/transfer complex.

unbolt tranny from bellhousing and roll back on dolly. seems like I undid speedo cable but not e brake.

the jack allows up/ down control, the dolly front/ back.

It is straight forward from there.

But a full lift and tranny jack are even available from harbor freight these days:)

I would imagine a pro would charge 400 or more to do it. might be a good time to also change clutch, plate and t/o bearing.

by the way what is the neat color of your rig?

Diddo to what JM said. Don't take the transfer apart from the tranny. Keep them as a complete unit. Also, do a search on the rear main seal. There are some threads that aren't more than a couple of months old that have some valuable insight on how to get the seal in place without damaging it. Good luck :)

I thought I had a R.M.S. leak, but after all that work, it was just the rear gasket on the oil pan.
If you haven't done it, you may want to clean everything up real good, put in some a/c dye drive around for a day and get a black light and see exactly where the oil is coming from.

i've removed trans/xfer combo with a cherry picker through the trans tunnel...works great. thank god 40s have such a huge open space when you pull the tunnel. 60's are a pita compared to 40s

I'm so grateful for everyone's speedy inputs and great info.
Thanks!

p.s. the color is a temporary, rustoleum, "Oregano" spray can job.
I'm planning on a yellow, Durabak job later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom