Rear main seal needs done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had it replaced at Camelback Toyota a few years ago and it’s leaking again. Where’s the go too place now that Murph ain’t there anymore?

I believe @murf is now at Right Toyota. I don't know if he has arranged a deal in the service department, or if they're any good, but there might be a thread on it around here somewhere.

Also @richardlillard1 and @inkpot might be able to help.

Contact Rick Johnson at Earnhardt Lexus on Camelback. Have Rick schedule you with Jared Marshall ( master mechanic, formally at Camelback Toyota). He's done a bunch of mods on my 2020HE.
Highly recommend him and Rick there.

Last edited:
It may not be rear main seal if it was replaced before.

First post has 2 options.

well I will crawl underneath this weekend, wipe it all down and hopefully see where the actual oil leak is coming from if you guys think it doesn't need done again. Not to mention it was a little pricey getting it done.

My 80 had a "leaky rear main" when I bought it. It was a valve cover gasket. Check the bolts, just a 10mm socket and long extension will get you to all but the one under the throttle body.

Contact Rick Johnson at Earnhardt Lexus on Camelback. Have Rick schedule you with Jared Marshall ( master mechanic, formally at Camelback Toyota). He's done a bunch of mods on my 2020HE.
Highly recommend him and Rick there.
I agree on Rick, great guy; doesn't write you up for stuff you don't need - but some tech couldn't even properly diagnose a busted driveshaft U-joint on our 2004 GX470 even after I told them this was the most likely cause of the noise and vibration :rolleyes:

when the vibration still wasn't gone after I picked up the GX in the afternoon, I drove right on to Richard @richardlillard1 and came out with a new U-joint later that evening - guess what: vibration gone (noise, too) :doh: - then I texted all the pics I took of the carnage to Rick Johnson - a few weeks later also showed him in-person the U-joint cap that was missing all needle pins except for one, and the opposing still intact U-joint cap :hillbilly:

as a result, I will have a free future U-joint replacement at Earnhardt Lexus :p - which, of course, was easy for Rick to promise, now knowing that Travis and Richard greased the s*** out of all the greasing/lubing that Earnhardt Lexus had neglected in the past 180K miles they serviced the vehicle since new :rolleyes: (the complete service record was what sold us on the truck, but evidently, dealer techs are not into stuff that's not diagnosable with a OBDII reader :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
another story in better support of Rick Johnson:

our white '04 GX470 in Baton Rouge started to act up; wouldn't go out of P unless we overrode the neutral safety switch - some deductive reasoning by us pointed to the brake pedal/brake switch or similar

when we brought it to the Baton Rouge Lexus dealer, they wanted to replace the brake ECU, to the tune of at least $3000 :eek: - which, if you look up Lexus' own diagnostic tree, there are numerous options they should be checking before replacing an ECU . . . , so we decline the "service" (and just kept hacking the neutral safety switch :hillbilly:

I call Rick Johnson to discuss, and he goes: "I have a GX myself, and in all these years we have been servicing them, we never replaced a brake ECU - it's gotta be something simpler"

it just so happened that the pandemic gave us a good excuse to drive the Baton Rouge GX to AZ, and promptly drop it at Earnhardt Lexus - long drive short: brake switch at the pedal it was, replacement part ~$75, and plus labor, it all came in at under $300 - the difference to the Lexus Baton Rouge quote basically paid for the whole trip :grinpimp: :lol: - which included a really great detour through Big Bend National Park on the way back to Baton Rouge :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom