Rear lower control arm brace\skid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comparison 200 vs 300
200 7.6lbs
300 6.6lbs

They are probably the same length, 200 bushings are probably stretched a little after 270k.

20220618_112343.jpg

20220618_112350.jpg

Another comparison
22+ Tundra
8.6 lbs, larger diameter main tube and bushings. Bushings 10mm wider.
Same length and bolt diameter.

20220721_165857.jpg

Installed. 4mm and 3mm hex needed.
Used purple (mild) loctite.
It’s easier to put the headless bolts in before assembly.

They are 1/4-20 hardware, so 1/8" and 5/32" Allen would be recommend, but as @grinchy mentioned 3mm and 4mm work as well.

I would recommend to use the loctite 243 that I supplied with the kit. This is because of the high vibration the arms will see and because of the dissimilar metals of the screws and the clamps. (Stainless and aluminum)

Purple 222 loctite should be ok. Check your torque after your next off road trip to verify.

Thanks for the tips grinchy!

They are 1/4-20 hardware, so 1/8" and 5/32" Allen would be recommend, but as @grinchy mentioned 3mm and 4mm work as well.

I would recommend to use the loctite 243 that I supplied with the kit. This is because of the high vibration the arms will see and because of the dissimilar metals of the screws and the clamps. (Stainless and aluminum)

Purple 222 loctite should be ok. Check your torque after your next off road trip to verify.

Thanks for the tips grinchy!
Interesting, I never even thought to get the English hexes out!
Maybe an opportunity to make the tapped holes 6mm and move to metric hardware?

Interesting, I never even thought to get the English hexes out!
Maybe an opportunity to make the tapped holes 6mm and move to metric hardware?
I think that's a good idea. Next sets I make will be metric and set screws removed. Metric screws have 90° head which allow more clamping.

Quick feedback - my turbo8 skids are holding up really well. I've put about 12K miles on them this summer, a few thousand of that dirt/gravel, of that maybe 500 off road trail miles. They fit well, work as designed, and have protected my RLCA well. At first I was concerned about how close they came to the budbuilt fuel tank straps, but it hasn't been an issue at all. Thanks, @turbo8!

Quick feedback - my turbo8 skids are holding up really well. I've put about 12K miles on them this summer, a few thousand of that dirt/gravel, of that maybe 500 off road trail miles. They fit well, work as designed, and have protected my RLCA well. At first I was concerned about how close they came to the budbuilt fuel tank straps, but it hasn't been an issue at all. Thanks, @turbo8!
Thanks for your feedback!

Hey @turbo8, I beat on your RLCA skids this weekend pretty hard. I had to winch myself over a fallen tree after trying several times to get over it at various angles and use of the skinny pedal. I had the passenger side RLCA supporting the truck on top of the log as I winched over. Nothing bent! RLCAs are still perfectly straight. I think without them I’d have for sure bent the passenger side. They work good.

Hey @turbo8, I beat on your RLCA skids this weekend pretty hard. I had to winch myself over a fallen tree after trying several times to get over it at various angles and use of the skinny pedal. I had the passenger side RLCA supporting the truck on top of the log as I winched over. Nothing bent! RLCAs are still perfectly straight. I think without them I’d have for sure bent the passenger side. They work good.
Awesome! I bet the community likes hearing these stories. I'm glad they worked out as intended. Any pictures?

Awesome! I bet the community likes hearing these stories. I'm glad they worked out as intended. Any pictures?
Unfortunately no pics of me on the log.

Unfortunately no pics of me on the log.
So no action photos but here is a pic of the BudBuilt lower shock mount guard which I managed to bend closer to the shock. Other pic shows driver side which was not bent for comparison. Not criticizing BB guards at all here. It did it’s job and is still functional. Just showing how hard I was bang on it and the control arm.

Passenger side (bent)
96728728-8042-4521-98F7-F7D94C26EF0B.jpeg

Driver side (not bent)
589D6895-2CFB-4E8D-987C-649299532917.jpeg

Here is the @turbo8 skid. Straight as an arrow.
405EC6F5-214E-44FA-8FF7-EB46E61970D4.jpeg

Last edited:
So no action photos but here is a pic of the BudBuilt lower shock mount guard which I managed to bend closer to the shock. Other pic shows driver side which was not bent for comparison. Not criticizing BB guards at all here. It did it’s job and is still functional. Just showing how hard I was bang on it and the control arm.

Passenger side (bent)
View attachment 3112827
Driver side (not bent)
View attachment 3112828
Here is the @turbo8 skid. Straight as an arrow.
View attachment 3112834
i kind of feel like that demonstrates that it is doing its job of protecting the lower mounts and the shock.

Last edited:
Hit the trails hard this past weekend. The LCA skids did well. You can see passenger LCA took a hit on shield but still straight. Last year, same trails, I bent the passenger LCA and had to replace.

Trail Tailor LCA skids and Bud Built shock guards also did their job.

IMG_1635.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_8733.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg

I have more sets available on the site now. These are the updated design that use metric hardware, which allow more clamping force than before. With more clamping force, the set screws are no longer needed.

I have more sets available on the site now. These are the updated design that use metric hardware, which allow more clamping force than before. With more clamping force, the set screws are no longer needed.
Can the older version be updated with new metric hardware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom