Rear lift gate panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was going to replace my screws for the inner panel on the lift gate that covers the latch mechanism. Seems the kit from cruiser corps is too big and different thread pitch. Researching this on the forum I see some people cut their own threads. Anyone have a source for these yet? I had to drill one out and another broke. Heres a pic of my old one with screws that came in the cruiser corps kit with two different lengths. 1969.
DC160005-80EC-42BB-B3A5-EEDEF467E2F9.jpeg

@Tubbster85

The screws from the kit likely weren't intended for the panel. They appear to be M6x1.0mm pitch. You need to measure the diameter of the screws to confirm.

If your lift gate has captured nuts for the screws you need, I believe you need M5x0.8mm oval head (like your picture) screws, probably 8mm or 12mm long. You could get an idea on length by measuring the one you have. Flat head or pan head would likely work, just not be identical replacements.

Cutting threads refers to old, old machine screws where the standard was changed from M5x0.9mm pitch to the current standard of 0.8mm pitch. I believe this changeover happened in the mid 1960's, so if you hatch is 1969, it should be the 0.8mm pitch.

@pbgbottle
WHoa the screws are special ? I have two rear hatches I disassembled 5 or 6 years ago. To restore. Wow. I hope I still have all the screws somewhere. Interesting.

The different thread pitches are what are being identified here on 'Mud. @swilson just reported same regarding the cover on his (apparently) 1966 hatch:
While reassembling my hard top I ran into some screws I didn't have in my stash of new metric hardware. On the inside of the rear hatch there are 8 screws holding the panel to the hatch and another 2 holding the handle to the panel. They are M5x0.9 with a Phillips counter sunk head.

I can't find this pitch of screw anywhere, let alone the Phillips counter sunk part. Anyone have a source for new screws? Or have some used you want to sell? I'm missing two of the short ones, and the 2 long ones for the handle have damaged Phillips heads.

Hoping to keep the stock pitch... but if I can't come up with any I'll end up drilling them out and tapping for a common screw.

Thanks

i-XWnpwL4-L.jpg

Last edited:
@Tubbster85
First picture looks good, M5 diameter.

I think the second picture, you place the "ridge" of the screw head even with the notch on the bottom of the "MM" gauge (even with the "zero" of the scale) and that will give you the length of your screw.

In your picture, the "ridge" of your screw is resting against the "2" line on the scale.

I believe they're available generically in 2mm increments. 12mm length would work.

I have a hatch with captured nuts and confirmed that M5 x 0.8 mm fit. I have no idea when the transition from the obsolete 0.9 mm pitch happened.

Home Depot has M5 x 0.8 mm x 12 mm in pan head and flat head.

McMaster-Carr has M5 x 0.8 mm x 12mm in stainless steel @ $6.17 for a box of 50. I'm sure you can do better, but that at least gives you a bench mark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom