rear leaf spring hangers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DEADSALT are you refering to what looks like broken leafs?

Have to ask yourself how does the hanger get slotted like that. Is the bushing worn out? And the pin flopping around in there? You're gonna have to take this apart and check it out.

As far as the zerk fitting. Just unbolt another one from the other side and take it to any parts store to match it up. These can be made cheaply with monkey metal so just pinky finger tight when you wrench it back in there.
Those leafs are not broken. They taper down at the ends so they can fit inside the military wrap. What you’re seeing is a rounded “cove” to prevent the springs from splitting under force/pressure at the point where they taper.

Let me try to make this easy for the OP to understand. All four of your leaf springs have one shackle and one fixed pin. The fixed pin mounts the spring to a hanger welded to the frame....like the f'd up one in your first pic. The other end of the leaf spring pack is mounted to a shackle (like your seccond pic) You don't weld or fix mount the shackle to the frame. The shackle is mounted to another hanger via a pin and bushing so it can move. The spring eye gets a pin and bushing also that go through the same shackle at the bottom of the shackle. The shackle allows for movement of the spring. Shackles are always closer to the bumpers. Fixed pins are always towards the center of the truck frame.

The shackle in your second pic is an anti inversion shackle. Not a stock toyota shackle. The anti inversion helps to keep the spring from inverting ...nothing that you will ever do unless you are doing some extreme offroading.

Pics of the rest of your suspension would help.
Thank you for the summary and thank you for everyone else’s input. Here a few more pictures of the rear suspension. This is a 1983. At this point as far as I understand, I need to obtain two rear hangers that weld on to the frame and attach the shackles. But my rear mounts are ok?

7CBB0A3A-F3D5-49C1-A81E-F870D5C77C4D.jpeg

8081A39F-6EB0-43EA-AA4C-37322F3C4490.jpeg

318D3332-B70C-4BD4-8BE4-E4FC2EEF5353.jpeg

CD6CB588-9A77-494A-9846-9EE22C3BBD9D.jpeg

Edit: I messed up the original post. Fixed it and made it more simple.

The very rear mounts are fine. That’s where the shackles attach. What you need are the pin hangers and the pins themselves and bushings of course. For what it’s worth, SOR calls it a “perch”.

SOR.com

Go to this site.
Click on the 60-62 series tab at the top. Select the rear suspension tab as well. Click on the blue squares labeled 15R and 16L
BDE94C3B-7C53-421D-93AB-B174507BF132.jpeg

Find the parts I have pictured in the shopping cart below and add them to yours. You need a left and right perch and two greasable pins along with new bushings.
0FDD1D30-C262-4299-9027-F76506C4B9D4.png

Last edited:
It took me a long time to figure out how to navigate that website and even longer to figure out that I could in fact order used parts from SOR.

Before you place an order make sure the front suspension doesn’t have the same issues going on. If the fronts need to be changed too, click on the front suspension tab at the top of the page and you’ll find “perches” for the fronts. I believe the hangers you have welded on currently came from an FJ40 or FJ55… they are not suppose to go on a 60. That’s why they’re failing.

Edit: I messed up the original post. Fixed it and made it more simple.

The very rear mounts are fine. That’s where the shackles attach. What you need are the pin hangers and the pins themselves and bushings of course. For what it’s worth, SOR calls it a “perch”.

SOR.com

Go to this site.
Click on the 60-62 series tab at the top. Select the rear suspension tab as well. Click on the blue squares labeled 15R and 16LView attachment 2863274
Find the parts I have pictured in the shopping cart below and add them to yours. You need a left and right perch and two greasable pins along with new bushings. View attachment 2863272
Awesome this is very helpful

Here are some pics of my job. You can see in the first picture how badly bent the sucker was. Terrifying. It had worn so thin I was genuinely scared when I realized how close to catastrophe I was. My friend used her plasma cutter to remove the old one. Then we used wooden dowels to align the rivet holes in the new part and the frame. She zipped a few beads along the edges. I slapped some paint on it and bolted it up and it’s been merry ever since.
283DC21B-5965-4456-BE45-716D64E89FCE.jpeg
01C5CD50-180A-4934-8A2A-C69AAD0EE80C.jpeg
506A788F-F5CB-419D-92EA-9A484B7B2F48.jpeg
5B7221C8-D6D5-4AB9-893A-1A374C7C6DE9.jpeg

Keep us posted on your progress! Love to help avoid headaches and mistakes!
will do. will stock bushings fit with these old man emu shackles? I see that SOR has polyurethane bushings they make for different shackles

will do. will stock bushings fit with these old man emu shackles? I see that SOR has polyurethane bushings they make for different shackles
No they will not. You’ll need Old Man Emu bushings. At least I don’t think so. I’m 90% sure.

For OME parts I would get in contact with cruiseroutfitters.com They’re the best OME supplier in the states as far as I’m concerned. Full of knowledge and expertise and just great people all around.

Here are pictures of my driver side rear leaf spring hangers. This is the opposite side from what I posted above. Your truck should look like this. Clearly there’s some modification that’s gone wrong. Let’s figure out what is happening with your suspension as a whole so we can help advise and direct you to get this fixed. I drove around for five years with a very sketchy pin hanger and I DO NOT recommend it to anyone!

Note: never mind my exhaust. It’s not factory and may not look like yours.View attachment 2862250View attachment 2862252Also, what year is your truck? I’m thinking you’ve got an early model because I don’t see the rivet holes for the original hanger. The early model would have one hole on the top and two under the hanger going up into the frame from below.
I scrap Nothing! one man's trash is another's treasure

Old Thread revival. Since it was dug up. @UZJ100LC How about some final pics of solution? I never did see this.
Sad that you would unknowingly buy into someone else's stupid. @cps432 good pics. HITH did that hangar get bent??
I was criticized for spending the time to grind all the hangars
off an old 60 someone had already butchered. I have a steel tub with 2 full sets now.
Older 40's had small eye hangars and I will upgrade mine to large eye 60 series and 60 series springs.

I am curious cause no one mentioned it, but did you get greasable shackles? The polyurethane bushings don't last
forever and the grease extends them somewhat. Did you go full-on OME shocks springs shackles?

Old Thread revival. Since it was dug up. @UZJ100LC How about some final pics of solution? I never did see this.
Sad that you would unknowingly buy into someone else's stupid. @cps432 good pics. HITH did that hangar get bent??
I was criticized for spending the time to grind all the hangars
off an old 60 someone had already butchered. I have a steel tub with 2 full sets now.
Older 40's had small eye hangars and I will upgrade mine to large eye 60 series and 60 series springs.

I am curious cause no one mentioned it, but did you get greasable shackles? The polyurethane bushings don't last
forever and the grease extends them somewhat. Did you go full-on OME shocks springs shackles?

hey sorry about that. yes i had shop put the hangars on with i think polyurethane bushings. sadly i sold it soon after so dont have any pics. that was just the beginning of the issues i was having and i needed to just cut my losses and take a step back.

hey sorry about that. yes i had shop put the hangars on with i think polyurethane bushings. sadly i sold it soon after so dont have any pics. that was just the beginning of the issues i was having and i needed to just cut my losses and take a step back.
Sometimes that's a good move, nothing worse than good money on top of bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom