rear leaf spring hangers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My rear leaf hangers are pretty worn out. (Top pic) they also seem to not be OEM. I was given a couple of these brackets (bottom picture). do these just weld right up to the frame? to me they dont look like the stock hangers either.

any help would be appreciated.

3FB31BA6-CEF7-4A92-A73D-9C523A4E653B.jpeg

C46F2B75-1E1E-4C1C-914F-A87634FBA055.jpeg

Well that spring hanger is the original Toyota part but the hole in it is majorly screwed up - slotted. I can’t imagine how it got that way because even driving on rough dirt roads for 200,000 miles wouldn’t normally do that. A mystery.

That shackle looks like an Old Man Emu greasable anti-inversion shackle - or a copy of one. Looks like it’s missing it’s grease zerk nipples.

Well that spring hanger is the original Toyota part but the hole in it is majorly screwed up - slotted. I can’t imagine how it got that way because even driving on rough dirt roads for 200,000 miles wouldn’t normally do that. A mystery.

That shackle looks like an Old Man Emu greasable anti-inversion shackle - or a copy of one. Looks like it’s missing it’s grease zerk nipples.
thank you. very helpful. I am going to look up where I can get those zerk fittings.

@DEADSALT are you refering to what looks like broken leafs?

Have to ask yourself how does the hanger get slotted like that. Is the bushing worn out? And the pin flopping around in there? You're gonna have to take this apart and check it out.

As far as the zerk fitting. Just unbolt another one from the other side and take it to any parts store to match it up. These can be made cheaply with monkey metal so just pinky finger tight when you wrench it back in there.

I hate to the barer of bad news, but you a lot more going on than just a worn spring mount. Absolutely nothing in this picture is correct.

- That is not an original leaf spring hanger for that location on a 60 series. No idea what that hanger is from
- The hanger's hole is all blown out and appears to have some random bolt stuffed in it
- The leaf spring bushing appears to be worn
- The leaf spring seems to have at least 2 broken leaves.

That thing you were given is actually a spring shackle, not a hanger. You will see the shackle on the other side of the spring.

The good news is that it's all fixable. The hardest part will be sourcing replacement hangers.

Well that spring hanger is the original Toyota part but the hole in it is majorly screwed up - slotted.
You sure about that?
Untitled.png

Last edited:
I hate to the barer of bad news, but you a lot more going on than just a worn spring mount. Absolutely nothing in this picture is correct.

- That is not an original leaf spring hanger for that location on a 60 series. No idea what that hanger is from
- The hanger's hole is all blown out and appears to have some random bolt stuffed in it
- The leaf spring bushing appears to be worn
- The leaf spring seems to have at least 2 broken leaves.

That thing you were given is actually a spring shackle, not a hanger. You will see the shackle on the other side of the spring.

You sure about that?
View attachment 2861810

Good eye. I too was wrongly thinking I was looking at the inside ear of the hanger. The Original poster (OP) needs to order the correct spring pin with the flange that fits in that large hole. He also needs to get a 10mm bolt that pins it to the hanger., get the right hanger which he'll prob need to source off a parts truck (check out the "parting out" section of the classifieds here. Doubtful they are available new. Also replace two leafs...ugh.

The OP should also look at the other 3 pin hangers for the rest of the truck and make sure they have not been modified the same way.

Cruiser Outfitters has the spring pins:
1639242559315.png

Try @TRAIL TAILOR he fabricates brackets, probably this version as well.

If I’m understanding correctly these old man emu anti inversion shackles need to be bolted into the hangers correct? But mine are so warn out, im a bit confused
Good eye. I too was wrongly thinking I was looking at the inside ear of the hanger. The Original poster (OP) needs to order the correct spring pin with the flange that fits in that large hole. He also needs to get a 10mm bolt that pins it to the hanger., get the right hanger which he'll prob need to source off a parts truck (check out the "parting out" section of the classifieds here. Doubtful they are available new. Also replace two leafs...ugh.

The OP should also look at the other 3 pin hangers for the rest of the truck and make sure they have not been modified the same way.

Cruiser Outfitters has the spring pins: View attachment 2861905

I thank you guys for all the help. Finding these hangers sounds like it’s going to be an adventure. I’d need both sides for the rear

Contact Spector off road. I replaced my hanger last year and they cut one from a frame and shipped it to me. It wasn’t cheap for a rusty used part but it was also the only place I could find one without driving hours away to a junk yard.

Here’s the spring pin hanger that I replaced. This is the rear passenger side, so it’s towards the front of the truck.
2F4BEEFF-C306-474A-987B-E269D2C10DD2.jpeg
EA8C1139-67E4-4788-9911-9AC91B1A5F45.jpeg

This is the rear passenger side shackle hanger. So towards the rear.
FB93D169-805A-4167-97A0-34EE7A5AD474.jpeg

Please note, before you go looking for parts, there is a difference in the hangers from the early to late models. The early model had three rivets and the later model has four rivets. Make sure you source the correct year or your suspension will not line up correctly.

before you go looking for anything,
you still need to understand what you’re looking for.

the hanger you pictured is in fact a OEM Toyota hanger,
but it’s not where it’s supposed to be?

Jack up the back, remove tire, take some pics, (on both sides of truck)
then what’s been done will be easier to see,
and what needs to be done to fix it will be a lot clearer.

It seems to me, from the picture, that someone took a shackle hanger and welded it where the pin hanger should be. The bolt that was used warped the hole into an oval because there is too much movement at that joint. The Toyota pin and pin hanger have an alignment hole and bolt that keeps the pin from moving. It does not rotate or flex whatsoever. The shackle is suppose to move on the opposite side of the spring.

Without seeing the rest of the suspension it’s difficult to say what exactly is going on, but my guess is somebody tried to either replace the pin hanger with a shackle hanger or they tried to do some off the wall lift kit mod where they move the spring location to account for longer springs or to compensate for larger tires in the wheel wells.

Here are pictures of my driver side rear leaf spring hangers. This is the opposite side from what I posted above. Your truck should look like this. Clearly there’s some modification that’s gone wrong. Let’s figure out what is happening with your suspension as a whole so we can help advise and direct you to get this fixed. I drove around for five years with a very sketchy pin hanger and I DO NOT recommend it to anyone!

Note: never mind my exhaust. It’s not factory and may not look like yours.
474EEC83-F70D-4BFD-83F5-0B294ABEF24D.jpeg
A6B5D1AB-BA84-4512-8185-0F14D8A9E5A0.jpeg
Also, what year is your truck? I’m thinking you’ve got an early model because I don’t see the rivet holes for the original hanger. The early model would have one hole on the top and two under the hanger going up into the frame from below.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of an early model leaf spring pin hanger. Man, I wish you had posted this question a month ago…. I had all four pin hangers for an early model and I scrapped them…. I knew I shouldn’t have done that.
B8C7F936-6F59-4BAB-8B7B-EB248D275878.jpeg

CA30E9F8-A195-48F1-AA82-231180CFCD02.jpeg

Last edited:
Let me try to make this easy for the OP to understand. All four of your leaf springs have one shackle and one fixed pin. The fixed pin mounts the spring to a hanger welded to the frame....like the f'd up one in your first pic. The other end of the leaf spring pack is mounted to a shackle (like your seccond pic) You don't weld or fix mount the shackle to the frame. The shackle is mounted to another hanger via a pin and bushing so it can move. The spring eye gets a pin and bushing also that go through the same shackle at the bottom of the shackle. The shackle allows for movement of the spring. Shackles are always closer to the bumpers. Fixed pins are always towards the center of the truck frame.

The shackle in your second pic is an anti inversion shackle. Not a stock toyota shackle. The anti inversion helps to keep the spring from inverting ...nothing that you will ever do unless you are doing some extreme offroading.

Pics of the rest of your suspension would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom