Rear heater REMOVAL help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davidp14

SILVER Star
Threads
I've searched and can't find much on actually removing the rear heater from under the seat. A couple of threads just mentioned it in passing so maybe I'm just not doing it right...

I've bypassed the rear heater at the firewall and now want to remove the heater box itself.
20200824_105118.jpg

(Don't worry ill hit it with the shop vac when I'm done)
I think I've found all the bolts and now need to remove the coolant lines but not sure how to go about this. I tried dropping the heat shield above the cat but the middle nut is boogered.
20200824_113939.jpg

Can i just cut the 2 soft lines here and be done? Or do I need to go down the stripped nut rabbit hole?

Since you bypassed the lines, you can just cut the ones underneath.
I cant remember if you can remove everything from the cabin . You will have a hole in the floor you will have to patch up

Thanks. I'll see if my Irwin bolt extractor sockets will do the job. Otherwise I'll have to cut the nut. I'd really like to be able to get the shield back on when im done.

Did this not too long ago but my carpet was out when I did it because I was putting in sound deadener. I believed there are some soft lines under the passenger floor if I remember correctly that you can cut. After that, I just started unbolting everything I saw until it was out. Unless you are going to keep the unit just take it apart until you figure out how it's connected. Just know once it's out you will have a sizable hole in the floor if that's an issue for you then you might want to leave it in. I used a sound deadener to fill the hole, I was doing the entire floor when I removed it so it made it easy to patch over.

Thank you.

I've got some hvac tape that l'll use as a temporary solution for the hole until I can weld it properly.

Yes sir @Will Van Excellent thread was the same one I used for bypassing at the firewall. There's just not much talk about removing the heater itself. I did see your pics which help.

I'll tear it out this weekend hopefully. I'll post pics in my build thread but there doesn't seem to be much need for details with will thread already covering the subject so well. I can However add whatever details I can about pulling the box but that seems unnecessary as well.

If you want to save or resell the rear heater you need to carefully peel the hoses off the pipes that dive down through the floor. Do this from below; I used a utility knife to cut the hoses lengthwise at the ends and peeled them back a strip at a time. If you yank on the hoses (they will be stuck) you can damage the pipes and heater core. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom