Rear Hatch Supports? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got 2 for the rear hatch and the 2 for the hood off ebay as a package deal for around $40 if i remember correctly. Both the hatch and the hood were falling on me, especially when it was colder outside. A year later and they are still like new. No complaints here.

The mud collective has read my mind again!
Sick of banging my head on the hatch on my new to me stock height 80.
I'm 6'6", so need some extra clearance and was wondering about longer struts, then this thread pops up!

For the guys that have gained some extra height, how much extra are you getting?
And, are the McMaster Carr struts etc fitting up to stock mounting points?

As now a full 2 sets of tail/hatch struts done myself - my old stock 40th AE is out there somewhere on Amazon struts but my sooper-dooper longtimer black 80 is on lift & stock replacements, I’ll say this:

-If you have a OME (2”) lift or better & are under 6’1” - stock is fine to replace.

-If you bought Rick’s seat extenders to fit yourself into your 80, go Amazon / McMaster-Carr.

I'm 6'6", so need some extra clearance and was wondering about longer struts, then this thread pops up!

For the guys that have gained some extra height, how much extra are you getting?

Easy deal, ~4" lift and 37" tires, no more head banging.

FYI...don't buy the ones I posted on page 2. Still lift/hold fine, but cheap chinesium metal is rusty/crusty after less than 12 months. Guess that's what you get for $28 :meh:

FYI...don't buy the ones I posted on page 2. Still lift/hold fine, but cheap chinesium metal is rusty/crusty after less than 12 months. Guess that's what you get for $28 :meh:

Dang! Thanks for the update. I went with the Strong Arm for $38.00. It's hard to find good reviews on anything, but figured, well heck... at least their American made! I have a Gobi ladder on the hatch, so we'll so how they work. I'll post up after I get them installed.

Ditto! Looking to gain as much extra height as possible to allow my fridge hatch doors to open fully when it's slid out.

Ditto! Looking to gain as much extra height as possible to allow my fridge hatch doors to open fully when it's slid out.

I found some struts for mine. The open length of the struts I used is 500mm.
That's lifted about as far as is possible without the hatch binding on the body.

I'm 6'6", my cruiser is on lowrider sagged original suspension and I can comfortably walk under it now without ducking

When I put on the McMaster struts, they lifted the hatch by an extra several inches (I don't have an exact measurement, but it is a decent amount, for sure.)

Be careful with this if you park in a garage. When open, mine would definitely would hit on the garage door opening with the new struts. I ended putting on a limiting strap so mine open up to near-stock height.

Another thing to be careful of with the McMaster struts is the speed the hatch opens - they're quite strong!

Definitely do the McMaster Carr swap then. Also, since you are in the GWN, the MMC ones hold better in the really cold weather. I've had mine on now for 6 years and they do NOT droop, even at 0°F.

I got these in June for $35 with free shipping. I was also sick of getting clobbered by my then new-to-me '96 FZJ80.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) Toyota Land Cruiser 1990 To 1997 LEXUS LX450 1996 1997 Liftgate Tailgate Lift Supports: Automotive

They just work. Great length, bolted in and working in 5 minutes. No problems since. Recommended them to another guy with a '95 and he has had great success too.

Took 3 days for them to arrive once ordered.

Update:

These have failed, one is leaking oil. They no longer support the hatch at all.

I called the number on the support and aside from a $9.70 shipping charge, they are honoring the lifetime warranty and sending out another pair. I'm fine paying the shipping and the whole process took less than 5 minutes on the phone.

The lady I spoke to said they have changed manufacturers for this model since I purchased these in June 2016. I will try the new set and if they fail in 3-4 years I will look elsewhere.

Definitely do the McMaster Carr swap then. Also, since you are in the GWN, the MMC ones hold better in the really cold weather. I've had mine on now for 6 years and they do NOT droop, even at 0°F.
Cool, thanks. Are they a direct fit or do you have to drill or monkey around with them?

Do you have the mmcpart number? The link just took me to a general page. @mudgudgeon and @nemoblackdog are these the same ones you used?

Thanks guys!

Ps. Funny you say the GWN...for us here we consider Kamloops to be the Southern Interior :D lol

Cool, thanks. Are they a direct fit or do you have to drill or monkey around with them?

Do you have the mmcpart number? The link just took me to a general page.

Thanks!

You have to monkey with them. Drill out the bracket on one end and pull it from the old set of cylinders.

Edited for part numbers:

Gas Cylinders: 4138T579 Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End Fitting, 90 lb Force, 19.72" Extended Length, 7.87" Stroke
Nuts: 90257A045 Type 316 Stainless Steel Machine Screw Hex Nut, 5/16"-18 Thread Size, 9/16" Width, 7/32" Height, packs of 10

Probably the best thread to talk about how to do it:

Make sure it's what you want. My spoiler comes within 1mm of the roof when fully open. Any wind or flex will make it have slight contact.

Some guys have complained that they have full contact of the spoiler on the roof.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom