Rear Hatch Supports? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Getting clobbered left and right by my rear hatch...need new strut thingies! Search results reveal some bad experiences with certain aftermarket and at least one good result with the offering from Cruiser Yard. Any other good options currently in use...OEM maybe?

I upgraded mine with aftermarket cylinders from McMaster Carr. It pushes it higher than OEM and does it in-10F. Costs a little more than OEM to convert, but well worth it to me. I like the extra height.

What @BILT4ME said. Another member on the forum recommended McMaster Carr as well, they make good products. The company I work for orders stuff from them all the time (I've done a lot of receiving at my place of work and there are tons of packages from McMaster Carr) here is a direct link to their gas springs that I saved.

McMaster-Carr

I should note: I personally do not have any experience with them, but plan to order some because I need them for my hood.

Also, I bought a pair off ebay for the rear hatch about 8 years ago or so, they already are loosing their pressure to push the hatch up and I have to move it up manually. FWIW.

I vote the McMaster-Carr ones. Got those a few years back and they work great . Was a fun little project.

I'll be the "fish upstream" voice - unless you're 6'1" or more simply buying OE ones means you get another 20 years from them, and you don't need every part you bolt on to be some "minor mod" project.

It's so easy to get carried away in little tweaks that you lose documetation for them all & are forked if you go back to fix a single portion or some situation where a single point gets "butterfly effected" because of some other mod.

Not throwing salt, just a 6' guy who was happy just getting new hatch struts ~ 5 yrs ago.

And if anyone is fighting hood struts, just do it now - knowing your hood works right means you'll do the simple upkeep more often.

I get mine from High Quality Automotive | Marine | Industrial Lift Supports truly PnP (plug N play)

I bought a set for GF's 2008 4Runner rear lift gate. You can imagine how heavy that SOB is since it's the entire back end of the body. These struts move that lift gate so fast that you need to get your chin outta way.

I'll be the "fish upstream" voice - unless you're 6'1" or more simply buying OE ones means you get another 20 years from them, and you don't need every part you bolt on to be some "minor mod" project.

It's so easy to get carried away in little tweaks that you lose documetation for them all & are forked if you go back to fix a single portion or some situation where a single point gets "butterfly effected" because of some other mod.

Not throwing salt, just a 6' guy who was happy just getting new hatch struts ~ 5 yrs ago.

And if anyone is fighting hood struts, just do it now - knowing your hood works right means you'll do the simple upkeep more often.

Yeah, I am 6'-1" and my son is 6'-3". We kinda like the extra height on the gate.

The OEM ones are fine for all you Shorties..........

We did a similar mod on our 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it puts the gate WAAAY up there in the coldest weather. However, I cannot ever expect my wife to close that gate, as she's only 5'-5".

I got these in June for $35 with free shipping. I was also sick of getting clobbered by my then new-to-me '96 FZJ80.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) Toyota Land Cruiser 1990 To 1997 LEXUS LX450 1996 1997 Liftgate Tailgate Lift Supports: Automotive

They just work. Great length, bolted in and working in 5 minutes. No problems since. Recommended them to another guy with a '95 and he has had great success too.

Took 3 days for them to arrive once ordered.

Bought the same ones a few months back, had good reviews so I didn't even look here. So far so good.

Yeah, I am 6'-1" and my son is 6'-3". We kinda like the extra height on the gate.

The OEM ones are fine for all you Shorties..........

We did a similar mod on our 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it puts the gate WAAAY up there in the coldest weather. However, I cannot ever expect my wife to close that gate, as she's only 5'-5".

Funny how life works. i just did an about-face on these long stroke lifts, thanks to my "Lowrida" 80 - stock height 40th.

On the backside of strut lift length, In my black 80 I do have the Slee Heavy Progressives on back so I'm ~3" over a OME med lift when I run unloaded, so aside from yellow electrical tape I put under the hatch lip (poor man safety lines) - I very rarely make noggin contact. I have 2" gap I'd guess in fact.

--BUT-- My 40th about took me out 15 mins ago though - so stock height can even catch alot of us - I'm used to judging fit by my lifted one, so that little reminder on my stocker was a point in your favor, I hardly remember stock configuration.

The Grainger / Amazon ones I now see a clear use for, even for us 'Sorta-Shorties'!

:::Made a edit to show stock height in 40th 80, my blk 80 has 4+" lift:::

Last edited:
"Just get the ones from McMaster Carr", he says. "They're great!" He says. There are about a hundred flavors to choose from! What flavor do you like that gives the extra height, works great in -10 weather, but doesn't take your face off with it when you open the hatch? Thanks. :alien::hillbilly:

Screenshot_2017-01-07-00-00-24.png

Capture+_2017-01-06-23-35-17.png

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom