Rear full float axle hub installation tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
After having done this (incorrectly) three times over the past year, I thought I'd post this for general information.
The FSM says:

1654634749049.png

what the FSM means is to measure from the end of the SPINDLE (the axle housing, not the hub) to the top of the nut (actually, one of the three pins.

The goal is to get the nut BELOW (that is to say, inboard of) the outer end of the spindle, without cranking too hard on the nut and overclamping the bearings. If you have seated the rear seal properly (flush with the rear hub face), you will have between a smidge (yes, that's an actual measurement) and 1-mm between the spindle end (the outer seal face) and the pins.

The problem with these instructions (at least in my case), is that the correctly installed hub (with the bearings and seal correctly installed within) will ALWAYS measure 2.5-3 mm from the end of the spindle. If you're not paying attention, as I obviously haven't (3x), you'll mistake the measurement datum and pull everything apart, only to find that you've correctly installed the seal and it should all fit together as planned, but still measures wrong.

Save yourself the grief and write "END of the SPINDLE" over the "TOP SURFACE OF AXLE HOUSING" in the FSM.

apparently I did this right without realizing it about 10k ago, so far...thanks for the heads up.

you will have between a smidge (yes, that's an actual measurement)
A smidge must be akin to that famous German torque setting we have all used at one point or another, better known as goodntight.

It's definitely in the same measurement system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom