Rear end issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lslc.org
The Cruiser's rear end that is. Brief history - broke a rear lockright. I bought a used one and put it in. Shortly after the locker started slipping very bad - only on the driver's side. It would constantly bang and jerk the truck to the left.
Figured I bought a worn out locker, so I bought a brand new Aussie. Put it in and it does the same thing. Driving straight down the road, anything more than very light throttle causes constant loud banging on the driver's side. If I get on it hard, I can get two to three loud bangs right together.

I figured I'd try to rule out the third member, so I installed a 3.70 third I had laying around that I know is good, along with the new Aussie. Does the same thing. (when I drained the rear end to change thirds, there was a lot of silver in the oil).

When I was checking the clearance between the two locker halves, I noticed the gap was bigger at the bottom than at the top. To me that says the housing is bent. Does that make sense? Anything else I should check, or tests I should try? Also recently the driver's side oil seal went bad and I replaced it, fwiw.

Sprung over 40 with 36's. Tires aired up the same.

Do you have any way to park on jackstands on a know dead level surface and measure? If it is that bent how do you stab the axles into the side gears? How many thousandths is the gap off between top side and bottom side? Was the Aussie side gear gap within spec?

This kinda scares me to hear - I seriously thought about trussing both axles, then I got lazy -

Doubtful, there are several rigs around LSLC that get treated lots worse than yours and we have not bent a rear housing, when I bent the front one I had to beat the s*** out of the axle......even knocked the BF off to get that side out, pull both axles and the junk from the carriers so you can sight thru it, on all the bent ones we have gotten in the shop it is easy to see if it is bent.
Butch

Jason, if you pull out the drivers, and measure the gap to the couplers, the measurements across should match top and bottom. If the driver's don't measure up evenly with the axle shafts installed, I would go with a bent housing. It IS hard to imagine, but not impossible.

This may sound dumb but, are both rear tires the same size and/or equal pressure?

JasonH said:
I figured I'd try to rule out the third member, so I installed a 3.70 third I had laying around that I know is good, along with the new Aussie. Does the same thing.

You have already done the experiment to rule out the common causes of this problem.

I agree that it is likely a bent housing, so check that the drivers and couplers are parallel.

Housings are cheap.

Jason, we agree with the group that the housing needs to be checked. The fact that you had a diferent measurement on the cam gears point to an internal issue, not related to the Aussie Locker. If you check out the housing and are still having problems please contact us at installation@offroadlockers.com and our technical guys will be in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom