Rear drawer options w/out removing the 3rd row? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That small space almost needs vertical storage, like mini filing cabinet style.

I had a similar desire to leave the third row in for occasional use. This is what I came up with.

That small space almost needs vertical storage, like mini filing cabinet style.
The width behind a deployed 3rd row seat set to an angle someone could actually sit in (two clicks) is good - 25" wide by 12.75" deep by 16" tall. At that point the hatch and the seat angle both intrude. There is a seat anchor that makes narrowest measurement on floor, much of that space toward the center of vehicle is actually 14" deep.
Excluding the seat anchor corner, the measurement is 19 3/4" wide by 14" deep by 12 1/2 tall. This area is shorter before it runs into the seat angle because it starts at the floor, not at the limiting seat anchor.

A drawing would probably be helpful . . .

Back on topic, I installed this drawer yesterday. It fits all the stuff I had in two separate duffels and a toolbox, and still has some room to grow. Wheels at the four corners so pretty easy to trundle out and get to the back of it. 44" long. think it'll fit most of the recovery gear too.

70 qt underbed box from Lowes. $20

IMG_4149.JPG

View attachment 2323392

Drifta drawers a little more complicated to order, but man... the best drawers on earth if you ask me.
Only thing I don't like about them is that it seems there is no option for a pull-out drawer top, like on the ARB.

Only thing I don't like about them is that it seems there is no option for a pull-out drawer top, like on the ARB.
They do something even better.

Drift has a table that can pull out to 3/4 of it's length, then you can full pull it out, flip the legs out, and boom, table.

Go to around 45 seconds.

Or if you want a top pull out:

Last edited:
I had a similar desire to leave the third row in for occasional use. This is what I came up with.
Awesome! That was my initial idea... custom make a drawer system using the mat as a template. I may try this. You actually did something very similar to what I did. 2013 LC. Added ARB BP-51 suspension (kept stock wheels), ARB compressor under the hood, Slee sliders, Frontrunner roof rack, Road Shower. Haven't decided to do a bumper or winch yet (my 100 series had the Slee Blueberry and Warn Winch) Bike rack off the receiver hitch (was a pro cyclist years ago) and now surf/SUP race so the rack and Road Shower is key. All this requires gear so I really need a good storage system. Thanks for posting.

What's the available width between the folded up third row? If you have 40" you could do a dual reef, but I'm guessing it is less than that. What about a drawer system designed for a smaller suv, like a 4 runner maybe? Would they fit?

I’m not interested in a table or fridge. I want sliding tops so that I can pull out the top and reach something that is up against the 2nd row seats without having to climb inside. I realize my use case is different from many.

Have a link to this single drawer? I wonder if the seat would fit without the side cover like @Taco2Cruiser setup.
Sure, here's the ARB site on the drawer systems. What I am most seriously considering right now is the low (5.5"H) roller drawer/roller top to use for storage of small items and serve as a fridge slide. It can be ordered with or without the side cover. It comes in different lengths, so far as I can tell. I would buy just the left hand drawer because I occasionally need to install the right hand 3rd row seat. I am also paying attention to what Trexxbox is doing with the 1/2 Alpha system.

Can go full-DIY for like $300 if you're after a project. Fit similar use-parameters to yours, can customize height/dimensions, super light. Still working on a retention mech beside Voile straps, but still solid enough to mount a Gunner kennel on, with cooler/misc.

DIY, Low Volume Drawers

Can go full-DIY for like $300 if you're after a project. Fit similar use-parameters to yours, can customize height/dimensions, super light. Still working on a retention mech beside Voile straps, but still solid enough to mount a Gunner kennel on, with cooler/misc.

DIY, Low Volume Drawers
Very cool. Did you cut the frame or where you able to order the sizes you needed directly from TNUTZ? Also, ever consider adding drawers instead of bins using the same frame? Just curios. Love to see more pics... This may be just what I need but at a little higher height to match the 2nd row when folded down. Thanks

Very cool. Did you cut the frame or where you able to order the sizes you needed directly from TNUTZ? Also, ever consider adding drawers instead of bins using the same frame? Just curios. Love to see more pics... This may be just what I need but at a little higher height to match the 2nd row when folded down. Thanks
I think that’s part of why this project was so straightforward... I just ordered all the sections cut to my specified lengths and they arrived spot-on accurate. If you needed it to align flush with the folded second row seats, just triple-check your dimensions and order the vertical pillars at the appropriate length.
To address your question, I certainly did. With expensive hobbies, my budget for this project was very small, but with the 8020 frame, it will be extremely easy to build or order some drawers that fit my frame well, and that function more closely to what something like the ARB drawers do.
HTH!

They do something even better.

Drift has a table that can pull out to 3/4 of it's length, then you can full pull it out, flip the legs out, and boom, table.

Go to around 45 seconds.

Or if you want a top pull out:

I looked into buying one of these a couple years back and the price to ship to the United States was absolutely cost prohibitive. Is anyone carrying DRIFTA here in the USA now?
Thanks.

I think that’s part of why this project was so straightforward... I just ordered all the sections cut to my specified lengths and they arrived spot-on accurate. If you needed it to align flush with the folded second row seats, just triple-check your dimensions and order the vertical pillars at the appropriate length.
To address your question, I certainly did. With expensive hobbies, my budget for this project was very small, but with the 8020 frame, it will be extremely easy to build or order some drawers that fit my frame well, and that function more closely to what something like the ARB drawers do.
HTH!
Do you mind replying with the dimensions, sizes, how many, what parts, etc... essentially the plans... you ordered from tnutz? Think Im getting ready to do the same. Thanks so much! I'll post any "tweaks" if I do any. Happy Thanksgiving

Do you mind replying with the dimensions, sizes, how many, what parts, etc... essentially the plans... you ordered from tnutz? Think Im getting ready to do the same. Thanks so much! I'll post any "tweaks" if I do any. Happy Thanksgiving
Hey man, ya absolutely!

I’m on my phone right for today and it’s a little clunky posting with it, but if you’re alright with the wait I’ll get everything compiled and send it your way this evening or tomorrow morning?

Sorry for the delay... this will actually be good because I’ve meant to get it all together myself and this will be a good prompt to do so.

Haven’t forgotten about you man, holiday weekend schedule got loaded up real quick, between family and water pump. Will follow up ASAP.

Hey @Heel9094 I'm sorry for the delay... no end in sight lately. I'm attaching a photo of the rough sketch I made of the workable space, and the two screenshots of what I ordered from TNUTZ.com and their lengths.

First, the area we can work with. I set the second row seats to the furthest back they could go, and reclined them slightly. Also, goes without saying, third row was collapsed and stowed in the upright position. Thank you for flying with us. They're not the most exact measurements, but they worked out pretty well for me (I'm a 2010 LX, so I'd assume the 09-15 LC's should be roughly the same dimensions. AMENDED: The measurements to the 4 mounting points for the base of the third row seats are made to center-center of the metal bar. Anything measured front to back is measured to the axis of the metal bar. Anything measured side-to-side is measured to the lateral midpoint of that metal bar.

77170BB8-2615-45B7-9CA8-0662E2222FE8_1_105_c.jpeg

Second, what I ordered. Below are the screenshots of my materials. I wish I had a good way of conveying the assembly. I am blessed with a pretty good visual memory, so unfortunately I'm garbage at passing along the assembly instructions. I'm the anti-IKEA. I will say that I wanted to maintain use of my grocery cargo net, so I left unused space between the front edge of the drawers/platform, and the tailgate. I know that my two 2x1 segments were cut to 36", and run front to back of the drawers. I believe that the 36.5" segments run side to side, with a further length-wise 1x1 segment butted up to that on either end, for an overall footprint measuring 36" x 38.5".

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 3.14.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 3.14.51 PM.png

If you follow in my footsteps on the order, you might have to play a little Tetris to get things to fit together cleanly and as-intended, but what I'll say is that if you aim for that 36x38 footprint, you're going to be safe. I think I included details on the Target bins that I used as drawers in my original write-up posted above, but if not, I just remember they're the [61?] quart clear bins for $10 each.

Feel free to holler at me with any questions if you go this road... I'm happy to help out however I can, sorry I don't have a better step-by-step for you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom