Rear Disc Brake Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am gathering parts to do my rear disc conversion and have found lots of information on the net about this. I still have a couple of questions though.

1. I have a 76 FJ40 master cylinder and booster setup. I have read that you take out the residual valve all together in the rear resivoir. I have also read that you remove the 6lb residual valve and replace it with a 2lb like the front resivoir for the disc part. I have also read that switching to a bigger resivoir like the front one helps out to. Which is true.

2. JT Outfitters sells a master cylinder specifically for the disc brake conversion. Has anyone used this product or is sticking with the stock master and taking out the residual valves the best bet.

3. Is a proportioning valve necessary in line with the rear brakes and if so has anyone used Downeys Swaglocks to install this or any brake line so flaring doesn't have to be done.

Any help with these questions with be greatly appreciated.

I didn't put my proportioning valve in,... and have had no problems. Will probably put it in when I do my front disc conversion though. Talk about a world of difference!!!

I'd just go for it, and if the rears want to lock up too easily, then go for the proportioning valve, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom