Rear Chassis Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cclyons

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey folks!

I finally got the rear bumper off after a long battle with one rusty bolt. This is what I have.... see pictures.

Any recommendations for moving forward from previous experience? Also, any idea if this part that seems like a "buffer" behind the bumper should just be replaced?

General View.jpg

RD-Floor Corner View.jpg

RD-Driver-Half View.jpg

RD-Horizontal Across Back.jpg

RP-Floor Corner View.jpg

I'd take a wire wheel or needle scaler to it and it see if it is salvageable. That would save you the major headache of dealing with the rusty bolts, drilling and re-tapping the broken ones etc.
Then tape up the bodywork and go to town with this: Amazon product ASIN B001DEL6J6Also coat up the lower rear fender skirts inside and outside, before they lose the battle to rust.

Mine was a lot less rusty than yours but the visual effect was the same; it was pretty ugly. I was also missing the lower support and my brackets were bent. You could go the wire wheel route. Or....
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.32.41 AM.png

From Partsouq.

I did have to drill out 4 bolts and retap but that was a fairly straightforward process.

I had the same problem and ended up replacing the rear bar. I also got the whole section back of the rear axle wire brushed and then the whole thing repainted with special epoxy paint.

POR15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom