Rear Chassis Restoration

Hey folks!

I finally got the rear bumper off after a long battle with one rusty bolt. This is what I have.... see pictures.

Any recommendations for moving forward from previous experience? Also, any idea if this part that seems like a "buffer" behind the bumper should just be replaced?

General View.jpg

RD-Floor Corner View.jpg

RD-Driver-Half View.jpg

RD-Horizontal Across Back.jpg

RP-Floor Corner View.jpg

ClassyJalopy

Here we go again!
SILVER Star
I'd take a wire wheel or needle scaler to it and it see if it is salvageable. That would save you the major headache of dealing with the rusty bolts, drilling and re-tapping the broken ones etc.
Then tape up the bodywork and go to town with this: Amazon productAlso coat up the lower rear fender skirts inside and outside, before they lose the battle to rust.

Present: Seattle Past: Windhoek and Dar es Salaam

Mine was a lot less rusty than yours but the visual effect was the same; it was pretty ugly. I was also missing the lower support and my brackets were bent. You could go the wire wheel route. Or....
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.32.41 AM.png

From Partsouq.

I did have to drill out 4 bolts and retap but that was a fairly straightforward process.

I had the same problem and ended up replacing the rear bar. I also got the whole section back of the rear axle wire brushed and then the whole thing repainted with special epoxy paint.

Top Bottom