Rear (cargo) door electric lock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Question #1:
Does the electric rear door lock in 70 series (mine is an HZJ75 troopy) have a solenoid like the front door locks?

This pic is what I was sent for that rear door lock.

Question #2: What is the 3 pin wire coming off of it?

PXL_20240323_182011794.jpg
PXL_20240323_182016771.jpg

LJ71 owner here. I am not 100% sure if the troopy is the same but the front door locks on my LJ71 and previous LJ78 all have a small motor inside to operate the door lock. There are few threads about it here - you can replace just the motor itself with the same size one (it's considered a hobby motor, easily found on Amazon and eBay). I have had to replace multiple side door lock motors and the rear motors in both my LJs, they all use the same motor and same process to replace - it's inside the plastic cover on the other side of the actuator assembly that you pictured.

The 3 wire harness powers the motor itself. Here's a thread I used that hopefully helps you sort it out: Driver Door Lock Actuator Tear Down - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/driver-door-lock-actuator-tear-down.1278071/

Wow...ok, so I guess I DO have the right driver door lock mechanism!

Does this trigger the other door locks as well or does it just open the driver door lock?

again speaking from my experience with Prados - the door lock/unlock switch on the door panel controls all locks at the same time, including the rear cargo door lock. This was the same behavior on both the 4 door J78 and 2 door J71 I have now. The previous owner of my LJ78 had installed some relays to make the door locks progressive (driver only first, then a second button press on the alarm would open the rest). I ripped that out and wired it all back to "all lock/unlock".

The control module for these door locks rests inside the driver's door in case you need to tap there. Hope that helps!

THANK YOU!

Do you know what the 3 wires to the driver door mechanism are... red, black and green. I just attempted to test mine to see if I could get it to "move" and no combo resulted in any movement or noise from the mechanism :-(

My diagram, which might be wrong, shows different colors.

1711566571379.png

If I remember correctly, black goes to ground and applying 12V (or 24V in your case I believe) will move the motor.

Here's my guess as to why applying power to your pins isn't working - the motor inside the unit may be burnt out causing you to second guess your work. It's been a year since I've repaired my door locks and installed an alarm, but I do remember bench testing prior to re-installation and applying 12V to one wire or the other while grounding the third caused actuation.

I've replaced 4 of these little motors so far and each time they went out, they were completely dead without any intermittent functionality. It's possible the actuator you are working with is also dead considering its age. Good luck!

From the EWD manual:
1711571365792.png

1711571388065.png

You have "D19 - Door lock control relay" and "B4 - Back door lock control switch" in this circuit. "B5 - Back door lock motor" is what you have pictured. This is from EWD168f. Looks like the wires to B5 are L-B & L-W, which mean Blue-Black & Blue-White, respectively.
1711571848867.png

The BW1 connectors are:
1711573226127.png

And the motor connectors show:
1711573110582.png

EWD168f is available from cruisercult.com @red66toy

"Looks like the wires to B5 are L-B & L-W, which mean Blue-Black & Blue-White, respectively"
Not what my rear door motor/mechanism has. Mine are red, black and green :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom