rear axel service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings:

I will be replacing rear axel seals and repacking rear wheel bearings next weekend. Is it necessary to drain the rear differential first?

As I recall, it was not necessary when I did the front axel and birfield repack.

Thanks,

Steve
94' 115,000

Dont have an answer if you need to drain or not, havent done it but plan on doing the same this fall. Is this a maintance job or a repair? Do you have any vibration or hum at higher speeds?
Chris

I've targeted , repacking the bearings, replacing the diff oil and oil seal every 50k as regular maintenance. When I've done the seal separate all Ive done is jack up that side of the axle so the oil will run the other way. Not sure if it is needed but can't hurt.

Yeah, same as Rick. No need to drain to do the service. You'll be amazed at how quick the rear job goes, compared to the front. I think it only took me aobu 45 min per side, and I wasn't hurrying.

[quote author=stlcruiser link=board=2;threadid=5981;start=msg47647#msg47647 date=1065390360]
Greetings:

I will be replacing rear axel seals and repacking rear wheel bearings next weekend. Is it necessary to drain the rear differential first?

As I recall, it was not necessary when I did the front axel and birfield repack.

Thanks,

Steve
94' 115,000
[/quote]

But why, you are doing maintenance. Why not change the fluid as well? Doesn't make sense not to.

Thanks for the replies:

I just replaced all fluids a couple of thousand miles ago not knowing I would be doing the rear axel maintenance this soon. I am sure the previous owner never did it.

Steve
94' 115,000

If the PO didn't change out the rear diff oil, then I'd change it out on this job as the fresh additives likely cleaned a bunch of accumulated grunge off the diff casing. Now that it's in suspension, you should drain it.

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom