1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear axel service

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by stlcruiser, Oct 5, 2003.

1. stlcruiser

stlcruiser

Greetings:

I will be replacing rear axel seals and repacking rear wheel bearings next weekend. Is it necessary to drain the rear differential first?

As I recall, it was not necessary when I did the front axel and birfield repack.

Thanks,

Steve
    94' 115,000

2. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

Dont have an answer if you need to drain or not, havent done it but plan on doing the same this fall. Is this a maintance job or a repair? Do you have any vibration or hum at higher speeds?
    Chris

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I've targeted , repacking the bearings, replacing the diff oil and oil seal every 50k as regular maintenance. When I've done the seal separate all Ive done is jack up that side of the axle so the oil will run the other way. Not sure if it is needed but can't hurt.

4. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

Yeah, same as Rick. No need to drain to do the service. You'll be amazed at how quick the rear job goes, compared to the front. I think it only took me aobu 45 min per side, and I wasn't hurrying.

5. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

[quote author=stlcruiser link=board=2;threadid=5981;start=msg47647#msg47647 date=1065390360]
    Greetings:

I will be replacing rear axel seals and repacking rear wheel bearings next weekend. Is it necessary to drain the rear differential first?

As I recall, it was not necessary when I did the front axel and birfield repack.

Thanks,

Steve
    94' 115,000
    [/quote]

But why, you are doing maintenance. Why not change the fluid as well? Doesn't make sense not to.

6. stlcruiser

stlcruiser

Thanks for the replies:

I just replaced all fluids a couple of thousand miles ago not knowing I would be doing the rear axel maintenance this soon. I am sure the previous owner never did it.

Steve
    94' 115,000

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

If the PO didn't change out the rear diff oil, then I'd change it out on this job as the fresh additives likely cleaned a bunch of accumulated grunge off the diff casing. Now that it's in suspension, you should drain it.

IdahoDoug