Rear Awning Option for the 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting a 56 inch wide pioneer rack up top and would like something to cover the back end for car camping.
One place I'll be is camping overnight then skiing the next day. It would be amazing to have a small tent room on the back so I could minimize my footprint but be able to make breakfast/coffee with some protection from the elements.

I've been pondering a few options:
  1. batwing/270 awning that mounts on driver or passenger side.
  2. 180 rear mounted awning
  3. standard simple ARB awning with sides/room option. 1250 == 49 inches, 2000mm == 78 inchs/6.5 feet (The 100 is 6 feet wide at the rear bumper.)
  4. Oztent with sail rail on the back of the rack, connected to the truck with the oztent connector.

I like the idea of the single ARB on the back... but they don't have a good size. Either too small or too big.
My favorite is the 180 style rear but I can get the 270 style much cheaper in the US.

Writing these up, I'm thinking the oztent rig would do the trick, and then I can add a 270 awning for bigger camp sites.

Thoughts? Did I miss any options?

I have a 54” CVT Awning on the rear of a front runner rack with the awning room. I also run the 54” CVT RTT with the annex room that I also run off the rear.

The awning room hatch opening is sorta small relative to the tailgate and hatch. The tent is well above the ground on my lifted 100.

The annex room being larger is still above the ground but only a few inches.

One last comment is that I have wheeled in situations with awnings on the rack when the awning has caught on tree trunks when the truck is at a heavy angle in a wash.

This option is 59 inches and folds out to 118 inches. I've thought about doing something like that on the rear. It would be nicer if it was a dual fold that extended out each side, but it might still be pretty cool.

Video

Seems like that one's unobtanium in the US at least.

23zero has a 62 inch awning that's on sale right now. A bit tempting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom