Really stupid question- roof rack/ tent install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swimbody - Agree with the posts that suggest the truck doesn't need a full platform rack to support a RTT. Good bars are plenty - and a positive to keep roof weights in check...

Similar to the Rhino Rack system, I'm running Yakima (Australia - Prado 150) towers with HD bars that connect to the hard points (removed Lexus flush rails) currently.

1650246414267.png

Last summer I ran these towers with the Yakima Lock N Load platform and an RTT.

1650246617367.png

Still lov'n our iKamper RTT after over 4 years.
We spend anywhere from 6-12 nights/year. More pre COVID and hopefully more now everything is settling down again.
Our iKamper is very comfortable, many times faster to setup/tear down than a ground tent. It's also way warmer because the wall material is a much heavier fabric, the hard shell on inside has quilting, along with being off the ground. And not having to get these old bones up from off the ground, I just swing my legs onto the ladder and climb down from a sitting position.
Only real downside is if one is base camping for several days, with some trail exploring during the day, you have to always close it down for the day for your adventure and then pop it open again at night.
But in short my wife and I love it and as mentioned above may opt for a small light adventure trailer to put the RTT on.

I would love nothing more than to be able to quickly remove and install my RTT, the only issue is that it's an iKamper, which is about 150 lbs. It's just my (5'-1") wife and I and we don't have any way of taking it on and off, nor do I really have any place to store it during down time.
That's one reason I'm looking at maybe a small adventure trailer to put the RTT on.

I've tried a half dozen ways of installing and removing my RTT by myself, from winches, to ladders, to ramps, etc. None of them worked very well, at best it was still an hour or more between the setup and mounting, The easiest way by far is having another (relatively tall) person helping. With the FR quick release, I can have it on/off in less than 5 minutes from garage floor to my roof. Now that I have a garage with a tall enough ceiling, I plan on installing a hoist that hopefully make it quick and also doubles as storage to keep it out of the way. I considered getting a trailer and actually rented an offroad teardrop to test it out during the pandemic. Those also have it's advantages but also come with it's own set of problems to deal with. Even at pre-pandemic pricing it would be a hard decision, at the prices they're going for now I doubt I'd ever get one anymore.

RTT generate a lot of strong feelings from people. The pro's and con's have been debated endlessly on forums for over a decade, it's definitely a very niche product that suits a particular style of camper. If you fit into that category, they're really great, but for others who dislike them it's usually because they using the wrong tool for the job. I'd never recommend anyone get one as their only tent because they're so limited in application.

I've have all different types of sleeping systems, from hammocks, to ultralight tarps, backpacking tents, heavy canvas tents, etc. that I switch between depending on the trip. There are some trips where a RTT wouldn't make sense so I use something else. But if the trip allows for the use of a RTT, that's would still be my first choice.

Last edited:
swimbody - Agree with the posts that suggest the truck doesn't need a full platform rack to support a RTT. Good bars are plenty - and a positive to keep roof weights in check...

Similar to the Rhino Rack system, I'm running Yakima (Australia - Prado 150) towers with HD bars that connect to the hard points (removed Lexus flush rails) currently.

View attachment 2985046

Last summer I ran these towers with the Yakima Lock N Load platform and an RTT.

View attachment 2985047
How is the wind noise with just the cross bars, and also once the platform is (no tent) is added? I remember reading about a year ago Yakima was bringing these in from Australia, they look really robust.

Well folks, I Installed the rack this weekend. Installed the wind breaks as well as it's beyond necessary. Drove it 4 hours to test it out visiting a friend's lake house. Was a little noisy but that's what that killer stereo in the GX is for coupled with Ozzy's Boneyard. Mamma and I were a little on edge at first with the new noises for the first 5 minutes on the interstate, returned home and installed the wind break... but I checked it three times on the drive to confirm proper installation. I really took my time to lay everything out before install, went very slow and in about 4 hours it was all up and it looks great. I got a 25% off coupon for Spring Camping over at Ironman 4x4 so I purchased the 150lb Nomad 1300 hybrid.
I am also installing an electric hoist system in the garage over the door (I have 2 ft of clearance in my new house...score!) to quickly remove and attach the tent for trips. The wife is OVER THE MOON HAPPY about the system. That 1300 Nomad only cost me $2100 with everything, tax, shipping, etc. It will be here sometime next week and should bother the crap out of me on our first trip with the hit in gas mileage, noise, etc.

But I'm a two time RV owner. I've done the tow behind bumper pulls, had the monster Denali 2500 GMC comfort truck that got around 8 miles to the gallon under tow. I was SO FREAKING tired of paying to store it, maintain it, deal with shoddy workmanship, deal with the GD RV vendors who are all criminals at best.

I'm relieved to have found something that will make my wife happy for a quick nature weekend to get away from the concrete jungle we live in.

Does anyone have a recommended after market upgrade to the stock stereo? The speakers and sub are phenom but the interface is old old skool at best. I did see this if anyone has another recommendation...

I've tried a half dozen ways of installing and removing my RTT by myself, from winches, to ladders, to ramps, etc. None of them worked very well, at best it was still an hour or more between the setup and mounting, The easiest way by far is having another (relatively tall) person helping.
Unfortunately I was only blessed with a daughter, a short one at that. Now that she's married, her husband is short too (I just can't get a break!)!
Even if he was tall, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with minimum 3, prefer 4 tall guys on each corner. Those iKampers are heavy (~150 lbs).

Humble brag but I suppose olympic lifting for years netted the ability get a rooftop tent and down by myself. My current one is about 110 lbs, but pretty awkward but can free hand it on. Heavier models I have just sat (2) 8' 2x4's against the rack and slid the tent up like a slide.

How is the wind noise with just the cross bars, and also once the platform is (no tent) is added? I remember reading about a year ago Yakima was bringing these in from Australia, they look really robust.
For both HD cross bars and full LnL platform, cross winds seem to create some wind noise.

The LnL platform is robust, but in N config it is pretty heavy (near 100lbs).

I'm still tinkering with how I'll do a roof load... A full platform certainly overkill for all known RTT, but like having flexible rack space for other items.

The big step in my (limited) experience is removing the flush rails, and using the three sets of hard point mounts. Rhino may have the more accessible approach there (prado 150)

After many trial runs I have landed in the "RTT's are stupid" camp. I've owned 4 different ones over the years and they all suck. (Smittybuilt, Autohome Maggiolina, Tepui Hybox, Badass Rugged Tent). Too much fuss, cost, wind noise, MPG loss, and lack of clearance all for what still amounts to a very uncomfortable sleeping arrangement. yes, even the expensive ones suck.

I've also had 3 different Four Wheel Camper Grandby's. Whole different ballgame, but frankly, I wouldn't buy another one of those either. For camping trips without a trailer, I suggest everyone look into a Hennessey Hammock or a good ground tent you can stand up in along with a nice big 4.5" thick Thermarest. So much more comfortable, simple, light weight and inexpensive than any other option out there.

A lot of people seem to just want the novelty of sleeping high up in the air, to each their own. I'll pass.

Should have went the Alu Cab route. Been through a lot of RTTs and this one checks all the boxes for us.

I used the Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars for my RTT install.
I removed the front runner rack I had installed, my RTT was originally mounted to the FR roof rack. By swapping the FR for the RR cross bars, I think this saved about 60 to 80lbs up top. The downside is that there's no easy way to install an awning on the cross bars if I wanted one. I think with a large RTT that takes up most/all of the roof space, like the James Baroud, there's no reason for a roof rack unless you want to add additional accessories like an awning.

EDIT: Added pictures of the crossbars installed on my 460 and clarified my post above.

View attachment 2966758

View attachment 2966759

View attachment 2966760
Hey how is the wind noise with just the bars?

Agreed! Though the LFD Crossbars are great for mounting anything you want to your roof, such as platforms when you don't have a RTT on!View attachment 2968339View attachment 2968344
Thanks for posting the pics and affirmation for LFD. It appears you have the LFD load bars mounted to factory flush GX roof rails? Also how is the wind noise on highway with the bars? Lastly, I assume the load bars can be moved forward/ backwards within rails and removed without too much trouble, but your thoughts?! Please and thank you!!

Thanks for posting the pics and affirmation for LFD. It appears you have the LFD load bars mounted to factory flush GX roof rails? Also how is the wind noise on highway with the bars? Lastly, I assume the load bars can be moved forward/ backwards within rails and removed without too much trouble, but your thoughts?! Please and thank you!!
Yes, I have them mounted to the flush GX rails! They can be slid anywhere on the roof with ease! LFD actually just revised the bars using 80/20 extrusion for what it's worth, so if you look for these, I'd look for the V1 bars. I also bought and installed the wind fairing that LFD manufactured for the bars. You can hear them, but it's not bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom