Really stupid question- roof rack/ tent install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, newbie to the forums and modding my 2017 GX-460...here it goes. The wife and I are now empty nesters and wanting to install a roof mounted tent on our GX for beach camping. Do I need a separate roof rack to support the roof tent? What weight limits do I need to look out for etc...

Need some basic guidance. We have been looking at Smitty to iKamper and all in between so any preference on make and model would also be appreciated.

I used the Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars for my RTT install.
I removed the front runner rack I had installed, my RTT was originally mounted to the FR roof rack. By swapping the FR for the RR cross bars, I think this saved about 60 to 80lbs up top. The downside is that there's no easy way to install an awning on the cross bars if I wanted one. I think with a large RTT that takes up most/all of the roof space, like the James Baroud, there's no reason for a roof rack unless you want to add additional accessories like an awning.

EDIT: Added pictures of the crossbars installed on my 460 and clarified my post above.

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

IMG_1199.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
You should use three cross bars. The racks on the GX's are plenty sturdy enough for any RTT you can get in the U.S.
The problem with factory racks is that they are curved and not flat. You'll probably need flat racks for any RTT you're looking at, as shown by KJ6IRM or a full aftermarket roof rack.

Keep us posted (with pictures) on what route you decide to go with!

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
You should use three cross bars. The racks on the GX's are plenty sturdy enough for any RTT you can get in the U.S.
The problem with factory racks is that they are curved and not flat. You'll probably need flat racks for any RTT you're looking at, as shown by KJ6IRM or a full aftermarket roof rack.

Keep us posted (with pictures) on what route you decide to go with!
Very cool, and thanks as that makes perfect sense with the existing curvature. Is there a good website with all roof rack systems one could peruse? Any favorites out there? Any ones to steer far clear from? I have enough room in my garage for about 15 inches from the top of the truck to the door opening. I will definitely post pics as I get things done, eventually tearing away the ghastly soccer mom trims. ADDITIONALLY, are there any manufacturers of roof racks that honor vets with discounts?

Thanks in advance

Swim

I installed LFD Offroad Ruggedized Crossbars onto my GX and they are perfect for mounting a rooftop tent too! Highly recommended and easy to install on factory rails!

Reactions: r2m
Prinsu and arb Simpson here… make sure to get the feet that make it easier to bolt and unbolt the tent

Also, any racks or towers you install in the factory rack locations, be sure to silicone all around the mount and bolts!
It will leak. Don't ask me how I know this...

LFD crossbars.

Don’t buy into the need for a giant platform, it’s conpletely unecessary.

RTTs are self supporting. All you need are heavier crossbars on the stock rails.

LFD crossbars.

Don’t buy into the need for a giant platform, it’s conpletely unecessary.

RTTs are self supporting. All you need are heavier crossbars on the stock rails.
Agreed! Though the LFD Crossbars are great for mounting anything you want to your roof, such as platforms when you don't have a RTT on!
IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2858 2.JPG

Last edited:
If you end up with an Alu Cab ( best tent I've owned! ) then go with Outgear Solutions bars as they have a version slotted just for those tents. Either way they are great crossbars and unbelievably strong.

One of the prime reasons we went with a full length roof rack was that I plan on some day putting the RTT on a light duty overland trailer.
Then the racks would be used for surfboards, paddle boards, skis, any extra Pelican cases/totes, etc.
I actually have the cutout for the sun/moon roof on mine so when my RTT isn't on, I can get some vitamin D!

Do you plan on leaving the RTT on full time and don't need to mount anything else? Are you going to get a hardshell tent that takes up all the roof space? If so, then I'd agree with just using crossbars because all you need is to support the RTT bars, so the majority of the roof rack would be covered by the tent making it just dead weight.

If you need to use the roof space for other purposes than a full length roof rack is really useful. The modularity is nice, I can carry cargo boxes, awnings, storage boxes, bikes, gas cans, furniture, etc. depending on the trip. Mounting things to a full length slotted roof rack rail is a lot easier than crossbars, it's almost like playing with legos, things just bolt on. When I had crossbars on another vehicle, I swear I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to make adapters to mount things to it, and probably spent more money than a rack trying to redneck engineer something that would have been a no brainer to mount with a full length rack.

The tradeoff is carrying the extra weight when it's not needed, but it's not that noticeable on a 3 ton car. On a lot of the newer racks you can add/subtract rails so you only need to install the ones that are necessary. Also, if you're using a softshell RTT the extra rack space near the tent is a nice spot to store bedding and other lightweight items that you need when sleeping. All you need to do is reach out the window to grab things instead of climbing up and down a ladder.

I have a Frontrunner rack on my 460 for the sole reason because they were the only ones available at the time I needed one, but probably any of the other similar racks would work just as well.

1648885368425.png

Last edited:
I really like the look of the LFD bars. Thinking of the 134lb Freespirit Odyssey 49". Should be plenty of strength to hold the RTT right? Learning a lot these days...roof rack seems overkill when the tent itself can support an awning
I installed LFD Offroad Ruggedized Crossbars onto my GX and they are perfect for mounting a rooftop tent too! Highly recommended and easy to install on factory rails!

I really like the look of the LFD bars. Thinking of the 134lb Freespirit Odyssey 49". Should be plenty of strength to hold the RTT right? Learning a lot these days...roof rack seems overkill when the tent itself can support an awning
They can hold that weight and more without any issue. They are such a great solution for exactly your scenario when a full rack is unnecessary. I absolutely love mine!

Well I broke down this weekend and paid for the Frontrunner Slimline II (long) for my truck. It's the first purchase towards the build so I also purchased their RTT quick disconnect kit so any tent I purchase can be quickly removed off and on and stored in my garage. I have a lot of garage room to do this with whatever size tent I decide on. Another question is have any of you used these quick disconnects from FrontRunner? I think it's a novel idea and I LOVE being able to hoist this thing off and on my truck.

Yes I have the quick release RTT mounts and if you take the tent off and on frequently they're worth it. At first I couldn't see myself spending that much money on mounts, so It took me a few years to justify the cost. But It turns a half hour job into a 2 minute job, so if your time has any value at all then they're a decent value. That's kind of how I felt about all the Front runner accessories, they seem overpriced at first until you try and make them on your own, then all of a sudden they're pretty reasonable.

The one thing that I think could be improved is to make them omnidirectional. In the current state, you can only attach your tent on in one orientation, if you want to rotate it then it requires removing the mounts and re-bolting them. Not a huge problem, but if there were another company offering that option I might have gone in a different direction.

Yes I have the quick release RTT mounts and if you take the tent off and on frequently they're worth it. At first I couldn't see myself spending that much money on mounts, so It took me a few years to justify the cost. But It turns a half hour job into a 2 minute job, so if your time has any value at all then they're a decent value. That's kind of how I felt about all the Front runner accessories, they seem overpriced at first until you try and make them on your own, then all of a sudden they're pretty reasonable.

The one thing that I think could be improved is to make them omnidirectional. In the current state, you can only attach your tent on in one orientation, if you want to rotate it then it requires removing the mounts and re-bolting them. Not a huge problem, but if there were another company offering that option I might have gone in a different direction.
I would love nothing more than to be able to quickly remove and install my RTT, the only issue is that it's an iKamper, which is about 150 lbs. It's just my (5'-1") wife and I and we don't have any way of taking it on and off, nor do I really have any place to store it during down time.
That's one reason I'm looking at maybe a small adventure trailer to put the RTT on.

How many nights per year are y'all spending in your RTT's?

After many trial runs I have landed in the "RTT's are stupid" camp. I've owned 4 different ones over the years and they all suck. (Smittybuilt, Autohome Maggiolina, Tepui Hybox, Badass Rugged Tent). Too much fuss, cost, wind noise, MPG loss, and lack of clearance all for what still amounts to a very uncomfortable sleeping arrangement. yes, even the expensive ones suck.

I've also had 3 different Four Wheel Camper Grandby's. Whole different ballgame, but frankly, I wouldn't buy another one of those either. For camping trips without a trailer, I suggest everyone look into a Hennessey Hammock or a good ground tent you can stand up in along with a nice big 4.5" thick Thermarest. So much more comfortable, simple, light weight and inexpensive than any other option out there.

A lot of people seem to just want the novelty of sleeping high up in the air, to each their own. I'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom