Really really stupid question - checking engine oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I check the oil on my HJ60 when its cold it is low - down by the low line, if I check it when it is warm it is up a couple of milimeters over the full line. Do I need to drain some of the oil out or put more in? When should I be checking it to get an accuarate reading? Sorry for the idiotic question, I just want it to be just right.

its not THAT critical, as long as you have oil in the hi-lo range your good.

Well, good to know....I think I'm kind of a hypochondriac when it comes to my landcruiser.

I believe engine oil should be checked when the engine is cold! The oil level should be close to the upper level mark.

I believe engine oil should be checked when the engine is cold! The oil level should be close to the upper level mark.

Having now checked it repeatedly and obsessively for the last few days, it pretty much seems to be right where it should be when it's cold and when it's hot. When I posted this though, it had sat for like a month 'cause I was out of the state and when I got back I checked the oil and it was down close to the low line. I figured since it was still within the F and L lines it would be ok to drive it to the parts store a couple of miles away to get some more oil, but by the time I got there I checked it again and it was up at the F line. (Yes, I was on level ground both times.) Since then, I've checked it every morning when its cold and at some point during the day when it's warm and its pretty much right where it should be. hmmmm..........

The oil is on the F mark with the engine cold AND hot???

:confused::confused::confused:

yes, thats why i said its not that critical. when its cold it has been sitting, most of the oil has run down from the engine parts and back into the crankcase bringing the level UP, when its warm it has recently been run and all that "extra" oil is now up in the engine and since its warm it is expanded somewhat and the level will still read UP, give or take of course.
there is a reason you have an acceptable range on the dipstick and not a very specific mark to keep at all times.
some guys will tell you how important it is to check engine oil on a specific procedure, cold, hot whatever, but i bet i can go check the air in those guys' tires and find a couple PSI difference. if someone really wanted to argue, the anal retentive oil level on the dipstick would be the middle, not the top.:flipoff2:

according to toyota delaer it is more accurate to check your oil when you start you engine in the morning until it reaches normal temp. do not rev or turn on the A/C in short dont operate anything.....turn off engine and wait for 2-3mins pull out the dip stick and wipe it clean. insert the dip stick and check for proper level.;)

I agree with HDJ100L. I think oil level must be checked within 1-2mins after the engine has been turned off.

This will get you a more accurate reading of how much oil is ready to be pumped back to the engine. Since the oil galley and oil filter is still primed with oil, unlike in the mornings where all the oil has drained back to the pan. But as long as oil is registering on the dip stick you are fine. :)

This reminds me of Toyota FSM on checking ATF vs. Honda FSM. Honda recommends normal operating temp. engine off while toyota recommends normal operating temp. engine running at P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom