Really Good Binos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing a bunch of research as I get set to take the plunge on buying a new set of really good binos. So far, I have found the 2005 review from Cornell Lab of Ornithology to be very helpful (seems to be 'the' review people comment on) but I'd love to get other points of view.

My use is quite varied: mostly hiking general views, some birding and wildlife, some stars and planets, a bit of marine use, etc. I want this set to be quite lightweight (~20oz, 600g), but not a compact set (ie at least a x30 or ideally a x42, but not a x50), fully waterproof and well built / rugged. For power, I'm still debating the tradeoff between an 8x (which I generally like, good field of view, light gathering, etc) and a 10X (sometimes would like a bit more magnification). Finally, I'm willing to spend up to ~$400 - $500, if needed.

We own a few sets of poor quality binos and one good set of old style 8x30 Zeiss Pirroprism (good light gathering, but a bit heavy and not waterproof) - great for home use, but not for hiking.

The review clearly shows that the Nikon Monarch 8x42 is great value (and the 10x 42 not too bad) and meets most of my criteria (~US$300). The review also indicates that the quality of the next layer up ($500 to $1000) is not that grreat relative to the Monarchs (ie a bit better, but is it worth 2X the price). I do wonder about the Zeiss BT Conquest series - anyone have these? Unfortunately, as much as I would love them, I'm not in the $1,500+ topgun category.

Any input?

Cheers, Hugh

I love my Steiners. I loved the 7x50 Military when I had access to them and I love my more practically sized 8x30s now.

The way they use your own eyes to do the focusing (Sports Auto focus) is awesome and perfect for varied use. I love not having a focus knob. Definately try it out at a shop. The rubber armour is perfect for outdoor use.

280_280px.jpg

Service is excellent too! I purchased a reconditioned pair from SWFA.com. After using them for several months during a trip to Alaska, I detected a very minor flaw in one of the lenses. I emailed them and they had me ship them the Binos. In a week they sent me a brand new perfect pair.

When I was shopping I didn't detect a large quaility difference at the >$500 range.

Steiners at SWFA.com

Try out a pair of Canon IS binoculars. I've got an early series pair of 10 x 42 IS that are waterproof (claimed to be..) and awesome. It really does take the shake out of higher magnification binoculars.

Now they've come out with more and better. More power and what they call "Image Stabilizer II". I think they max at 15x, but I haven't looked in a while.

There are some pretty fine optics in the surplus market. I've got a pair of ex coast guard Fujinon 7x50's with beautiful resolution compared to most any others I've compared, and bright low light viewing that's as good as the cheaper night vision devices out there without the buzz or the batteries.

Another goodie is a Swiss surplus glass with some obscure name. 8x30 field glaasses in the old style but with crystal clear viweing and an indecipherable ranging scale to boot - all for $79.95 out of some catalog I get.

The review clearly shows that the Nikon Monarch 8x42 is great value (and the 10x 42 not too bad) and meets most of my criteria (~US$300). The review also indicates that the quality of the next layer up ($500 to $1000) is not that grreat relative to the Monarchs (ie a bit better, but is it worth 2X the price). I do wonder about the Zeiss BT Conquest series - anyone have these? Unfortunately, as much as I would love them, I'm not in the $1,500+ topgun category.

Any input?

Cheers, Hugh

Having used the Nikon Monarch ATBs for several hunting seasons now, I have to say that they are outstanding, especially for the money and warantee. Clarity is top-notch and Nikon has a 'No Fault Policy'. I highly recommend them for what you are doing and your budget.

I got a pair of Nikon Travelite binos for the center console. Love 'em. I know the Travelites are a little less than what you're lookin' for, but Nikon has great lenses.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, very helpful info so far!

arghhhhh....I just got back from a place billed as 'the largest showroom of quality binos in Canada :rolleyes: ' and what a waste of time. This is a well known science shop, with a good selection of telescopes, but they only had a really spotty collection of binos.

I have NO problem spending the premium of retail, good inventroy, good service, take home trials, etc but this place had none of the above, except for the premium. The guy was a prick to deal with, no Zeiss Conquests in stock, one set of used Nikon Monarchs priced for more than new ones are going for on-line, etc. Quite frankly, I've gotten better 'service' to date on on-line stores (who have them in stock, 25%+ less).

I plan to try some camera and optical stores this week to see what else is out there.

Good news is that I think I've ruled out a 10X, I found the pairs I tried a bit too shaky. I also tried a Zeiss 5x mini monocular, which is lovely and would be great to have...maybe I'll get the cheaper Nikons and this monocular.

Cheers, Hugh

Good news is that I think I've ruled out a 10X, I found the pairs I tried a bit too shaky. I also tried a Zeiss 5x mini monocular, which is lovely and would be great to have...maybe I'll get the cheaper Nikons and this monocular.

Cheers, Hugh

I agree. It's been my findings that anything more than 8X is shaky, even more so if you're out of breath or without any kind of brace. Good call. I think if you get the 8X Monarch ATBs, you'll be very pleased. The wildlife really stands out. I hate to think of how many animals I passed up over the years using poor quality optics. :doh:

Personally I like porroprism. Waterproof porros aren't common; Swarovski used to make waterproof porroprism glasses (Habicht and SL). The Zeiss Jena (Nobilem) have already been mentioned are outstanding but hard to find and no longer manufactured and not waterproof to my knowledge.. .samesame for Nikon EL's (great glasses) but not waterproof.

The mentioned Fujinon's are available as waterproof porroprism and are apparently (depending on the model) top notch! I would look at these and will probably also eventually get around to buying a pair of Fujinons...although I need another pair of bino's like another hole in the head..

I own and have used various roofprism but think porro's are better value. If you want/like the roofprism design ... Leitz, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon are probably the premier choices... and available waterproof...buy the ones you can afford over $1k and like the feel of etc...generally the optical differences between brands are no more significant the differences between individual specimens so I wouldn't obsess too much once you get to this level...

BTW ... I like to use 6x, 30 for hunting and have a pair of Swarovski Habicht and also a heavily discounted pair of old Pentax marine 6x, 30. 6x, 30 are an excellent balance of fov, weight, magnification, exit pupil etc etc ... alas .. they are not very popular cause "bigger is better" in many peoples minds... so they are hard to find.... several 6x, 30 were made (possibly still fujinon) for marine use cause the fov and easier to hold 6x magnification made shipboard use more pleasant.

Last edited:
....I also tried a Zeiss 5x mini monocular, which is lovely and would be great to have...maybe I'll get the cheaper Nikons and this monocular.

Cheers, Hugh

If you're lookin' for a monocular too, try this one from CountyComm. For $12, it was worth a shot and I was blown away. Really nice monocular. I actually got another just to have one in both Cruisers.

And don't be scared by CountyComm. They are awesome. Ask Cary or Yooper who frequent Candle Power Forums where CountyComm is a vendor. Great place to shop.

Leuopold Gold ring!

American made and guaranteed for life peroid! Same high quality as their scopes.The older gold ring versions are not made any more(maybe one version) but watch e-bay and sometimes they come up. The company now offers a Windriver brand which is imported but still has lifetime warranty, a little less expensive but I have no experience with them. I carry a compact 10x28 when hunting or hiking, a10x40 stays locked in the 40 for just in case, and my 20x50 spotting scope is used a lot too.:beer:

I have always had either Swarovski or Leica. I made a living looking through my binos and never skimped on my optics.

This past season I had a hunter that had the Cabelas European Binos, he said they were $700 but I was blown away when I looked through them. They had the clarity of a bino that cost twice as much. Cabelas has awesome customer service, I would look through a pair.

If your dead set on staying in the 300-500 dollar range I would give the Nikons a strong look.

I would also get a 10x42, great magnification, desent light gathering capabilities and they are not bulky or heavy.

Drum

I have always had either Swarovski or Leica. I made a living looking through my binos and never skimped on my optics.

This past season I had a hunter that had the Cabelas European Binos, he said they were $700 but I was blown away when I looked through them. They had the clarity of a bino that cost twice as much. Cabelas has awesome customer service, I would look through a pair.

If your dead set on staying in the 300-500 dollar range I would give the Nikons a strong look.

I would also get a 10x42, great magnification, desent light gathering capabilities and they are not bulky or heavy.

Drum

Gotta have a steady hand for 10-power ;) .

for marine use, stick with a 7x50, thats what I take in the boat. For the car or house I like 10x50, for packing around, 8x30 is just about right

glad to see someone else knows of the Zeiss/Jena.....they are the bomb! Gotten all mine for under $200 new on Ebay, for the $ you just cant beat em.

Gotta have a steady hand for 10-power ;) .

Unless you have Parkinsons 10x will be just fine. Of the hundreds(or more) hunters I have guided over the years I have only had 2 or 3 come into camp with less than 10x binos and they said that they would upgrade asap.

The only place I could see where a 7x or 8x bino would be an improvement would be back east in thick woods where you are looking at distances of 150 yards or less.

Drum

I was in the Cabelas store in sydney a few weeks ago and took a look at all the brands and many models and was literally blown away by the value of the Cabelas "euro" glass. They are made in Czech by MeOpta and are very impressive for the price. I could not find any fault and the only other binos that seemed better to me were the $1800 Leicas and even with a free set of Schnee hunting boots thrown in for free, I had to take the Cabela's Euro

They also sell the MeOptas for $900 exactly the same as the Cabelas for $200 more. The Cabela's have the Meopta logo on the bottom and come with lens caps - couldn't endorse them more fully.

I recall MeOpta supplies the glass for many major optics companies, even think Zeiss Conquest lens come from MeOpta, at least on scopes

another bino/scope review/discus site
http://www.opticstalk.com/default.asp

I was in the Cabelas store in sydney a few weeks ago and took a look at all the brands and many models and was literally blown away by the value of the Cabelas "euro" glass. They are made in Czech by MeOpta and are very impressive for the price. I could not find any fault and the only other binos that seemed better to me were the $1800 Leicas and even with a free set of Schnee hunting boots thrown in for free, I had to take the Cabela's Euro

They also sell the MeOptas for $900 exactly the same as the Cabelas for $200 more. The Cabela's have the Meopta logo on the bottom and come with lens caps - couldn't endorse them more fully.

Now this is a cool site! I would love ot have some of the $2,000 military range devices! Yes, I've heard that the Cabellas binos are quite nice.

I spent some time today at a store trying the Nikons. They generally seem to fit most of my criteria and 8X seems good for me - and what I'm used to, I can't get used to 10X, a bit too shaky unsecured.

The Zeiss conquests were nice, but not good enough to drop 2X on them. I tried a really nice set of Bushnells (surprised) - amazing field of view of 420' in an 8 x 42 and very bright, but a bit heavy.

My mind is sort of telling me to go with a very good pair (like the Nikons) that won't break the bank vs. spending $600 - $700 on a somewhat better pair and then, in a few years, spring for some serious hardware where it seems that you really have to spend well over a $1,000. I quite like the idea of some good binos that I can give to my kids (we still have my grandfather's glasses, still doing well after 50+ years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom