Real time question - in over my head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think i will be ok drivinge it 5 miles to the shop before draining and replacing the tranny, and diff fluids?

I wouldn't drive it before replacing fluids.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I sunk a Bronco to the headlights in mud once... nasty.

As for driving it before changing fluids... You can check the fluids to see if their is water in them. If no water mixed with fluids your fine, if their is water (or any doubt) the advice not to drive it is certainly worth listening to.

e9999 is right that this was not a minor incident. Yes people get into water that is as deep as you were in with no issues, I know I have, but you want to reduce the risk wherever possible. A pain? Yes. But you may be very unhappy if you are not overzealous about checking and drying everything. Part of the problem you face is 1) the engine shut off, 2) your truck sat in it for a while.

Good luck in getting everything sorted!! In the mean time any pics?? If not take this as a learning moment... and always have a camera on hand in the future :hillbilly:

I wouldn't drive it before replacing fluids.

H8Mud yet? Ditto ^^^... If you are planning on taking it to a shop many will give you free towing to the shop. I assume you got your towing via your insurance to get your rig home. If you had water up the the shifter in the interior there are a lot of electronics under the shifter console too... The interior of the cruiser is very easy to take apart... I'd start taking apart as much as possible and set things aside so they can properly dry out... If you have alot of mud under the hood i'd start rinsing out the engine bay with clean water too to get the muck and mud out of there... In the Southeast we have some nasty red clay mud and if it dries it's nearly impossible to get off...

thanks everyone! all this advice is really helpful and is giving me the confidence that I will be able to turn this severe incident around into a scary story. As for pics, some of the spectators took pics and took my email address. I asked them to hold off sending them to me until I could explain what happened to the wifey in the confort of our home. Should be getting some today.

As far as the electronics, i know where the fuse box at the where the kick panel is, the OBII connector, I've had the console open to unstick the switches, so i'm good there. Are there any other places in the cab where there are exposed connectors? I'm on this as soon as i get home from the office. I'm goin to use WD40, hair dryer, etc. Question: once the carpet is removed, considering it's just water and mud, can it be cleaned and replaced? Also, once removing the carpet does that take it down to the sheet metal? Thanks I will share this recovery with the group for sure!

Could someone post the link for removing seats and carpet, basically taking the interior a part. i would normally search it but i'm headed outside to start on what I know how to do.

THanks

Dude, I'm going to say this.

That f'ing sucks. I would be so pissed and upset, I don't think I could deal with knowing how much work I would have cut out for it.

Removing the seats is pretty easy. Peel the covers off the front corners and remove the bolts. Unclip the wires and you are done. Same for back seats. Take your time and pull the panels upfront starting with the door jamb (run your finger underneath and give a slight tug, should pop off). The kick panel pulls off forward and out. Pull the kick pedal ( mine slides off). Pull ALL covers, stick a hairdryer or heatgun under there and have a LOT of beer.

Btw, On a lighter note, to make sure this doesn't happen ever again:

- change your username
- get rid of those 20" wheels...

neither one gets you good Kruiser Karma... :)

I'm pretty sure that's why this all happened in the first place... :D

Nice e999

Thats textbook "Adding insult to injury"

Good luck drying out, hope it works out for ya!

You might need new spark plug wires. If there were any cracks in them, the water will have shorted them out.

When you find the spark plug wires, let me know...and take pics! Thus far, I don't think anyone has found them on a 100. ;)

City, most of the interior pieces snap on and off without too much heartburn. Seats and whatnot are easy like Nick said - just unbolt and unplug. Once you get the trim pieces off, the carpet should be pretty easy to peel up. As long as you get to it before it starts to mold, a decent detail shop should be able to clean it up.

Your biggest challenge by far is going to be getting your electronics dried out. The dehumidifier is an excellent idea once you get all of the standing water cleaned up.

Thanks everyone! e9999 I got rid of the 20in rims a long time ago. I'm running the 16 in stock wheels on Yokohama Geolanders. Anyway, just got in from removing all the carpet and the seats. it wasn't too bad just took a lot of time. Unfortunately, the front passenger seat was in a position to block the bolt and no juice now to move it. It came up enough though after all the others were loose. There will be no salvaging the carpet. It was totally ruined. I think the cruiser raised a quarter inch once i had it out. Good advice on taking the seats and carpet out because there were literally puddles on the side where the carpet meets the door jam. i noticed quite a few drain plugs. I wonder if I can open the doors and gently balst it out inside because there is so much mud (since when did mud float) I picked up a heat gun now and intend to hit the electronics tomorrow. it's too dark to do a thourough job.

so anyway, yeah this does suck 2000 but being upset is not going to help me get it going and I'm racing against time. If i fail, there will be plenty of time to be upset. Right now it's taking every ounce of motivation I have. It happened and just have to deal with what is now...believe me it won't happen again. I'm still hoping that after I dry everything and do everything else the forum has suggested that it won't have any long lasting negative effects. in the mean time I'm learning a lot about the interior of my Cruiser. After seeing it with the carpet out, I have a lot of confidence that it will dry out ok, and the seats were not soaked at all. I will post some pics as soon as i figure out how. Thanks again Fuzz and everybody, your support really gave me the confidence and motivation to keep going.

btw, what is the box that's under the passenger seat? That had to get flooded unless it is completely sealed.

btw, what is the box that's under the passenger seat? That had to get flooded unless it is completely sealed.

amp for the radio...I guess you need a new amp now. wait for the mud to dry into "bricks" then remove them. Vaccumm the rest up if you can get to it.

sorry about the bad news. since you have pulled out the carpet and seats, it also helps to rent a commercial grade dryer from home depot, lowes or other equipment rentals. it is probably the surest way to dry things out inside. you'll probably need at least two of these units. aside from the driers you can also rent a commercial dehumidifier. this is the same stuff they used when i had a water heater leak that wet my drywalls, wood floors and carpet. google it if you aren't too familiar.

good luck and hope things work out in the end ...

Let me know if you need another factory amp. I bypassed mine so I don't need it. I'll donate it to the cause if you pay the shipping on it...

I'd lay all your carpet out on a tarp and let it dry out good and give it a good shampooing... It may be fine after a good cleaning...

Sounds like you've made good progress tonight... Keep after it! :wrench:

Day two update - spent about 4 hours today cleaning, removing stuff. Got to the fuse block and the 10+ connectors in that same area, also got to the passenger side and dismantled the center console for cleaning. Took a heat gun to the connectors (yup! there are a ton of them but i'm impressed on how they are built and, being an old electronics technician who has repaired a number of devices, I have confidence that the car will be ok electrically. I pulled every connector and fuse I could find. Good thing too because they were wet a bit. The fuses even had water inside them so I'm going to replace all of them.

Anyway, things are coming along very well, the cabin is all cleaned up for the most part. Today was a hot day in Los Angeles and tomorrow will be too so I'm going to let it sit some more and dry out. FYI those front drain plugs in front of the passenger seat and driver's seat are super effective. I advise going right for them if anyone ever gets water in the cabin. The water runs to them very well even (maybe why cruisers have a slight slope to the front?) hmm

Tomorrow, I start on the engine bay, removing the coil packs, airbox etc. Once that is all cleaned up, I think I will start it and move it up the driveway into the garage where I can work on it longer hours. The front carpet is completely destroyed. It ripped under the weight of the water when it was lifted the rear is fine and I've got nearly new floor mats. So I think once its running again I will install just the seats while I wait for the new front carpet to arrive from AU. with any luck I'll be driving it again this weekend. :)

still can't figure out how to post pics.

Go Advanced on reply and scroll down. Should see "manage attachments". Or just host them on photobucket and copy the code and paste it in your reply.

Sounds like you are making great progress, hoping that you get the LC back and running soon! Congrats on the progress and hope it's a nice day to wrench tomorrow. I love those days, unfortunately we are having some nasty weather tomorrow.

1. Sign up for a free Gmail account
2. Go to Picasa (Google owns it and you now can link to it for FREE)
3. Create a folder called "Pics on Mud"
4. Upload any pics you would like to share to the Pis on Mud folder
5. Click on a pic in Picasa so that it looks full sized
6. Rigth click the full sized pic and select "copy URL" (or the most similar option to this)
9. When posting in Mud, click on the "advanced " button
10. Start typing your post
11. When you get to a point where you want to insert a pic, click on the yellow box icon in the toolbar. (If you hover over it, it will say something like "insert picture")
12. Paste the URL you copied earlier from Picasa into the field that appears

You will see code tags for the pics you post and after a while it will become easy and familiar.

Last edited:
1. Sign up for a free Gmail account
2. Go to Picasa (Google owns it and you now can link to it for FREE)
3. Create a folder called "Pics on Mud"
4. Upload any pics you would like to share to the Pis on Mud folder
5. Click on a pic in Picasa so that it looks full sized
6. Rigth click the full sized pic and select "copy URL" (or the most similar option to this)
9. When posting in Mud, click on the "advanced " button
10. Start typing your post
11. When you get to a point where you want to insert a pic, click on the yellow box icon in the toolbar. (If you hover over it, it will say something like "insert picture")
12. Paste the URL you copied earlier from Picasa into the field that appears

You will see code tags for the pics you post and after a while it will become easy and familiar.

Do you use the Animated Knots iphone app to tie your shoes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom