real time lower control arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebooting the cv axles and need to remove the lower control arm. I dont have enough room to replace the axle. (it is in the diff correctly snapped right in) What tool removes the lower control arm Help please. About to call the tow truck

Do you have the upper ball joint disassembled? If so, and if you are at the point where you are reassembling the half shaft to the diff and steering knuckle, I found success by first inserting the half shaft into the steering knuckle and then inserting the other end into the diff. Sounds like you're trying to do it the other way around and I don't think it's physically possible without disassembling the lower ball joint too.

You do not need to disconnect the lower ball joint to do the cv. Follow the DIY in the FAQ.

FYI... I found a pully puller works best for the lower bj.

Remove abs sensor bolts

Remove upper ball joint with all joint tool and turn the wheel to allow enough room for removal.

You do not need to disconnect the lower ball joint to do the cv. Follow the DIY in the FAQ.

FYI... I found a pully puller works best for the lower bj.

I followed DIY and it said to put it in the diff first. I will try the outer first next time. I rented a tool from Advanced Auto and removed the lower

Do you have the upper ball joint disassembled? If so, and if you are at the point where you are reassembling the half shaft to the diff and steering knuckle, I found success by first inserting the half shaft into the steering knuckle and then inserting the other end into the diff. Sounds like you're trying to do it the other way around and I don't think it's physically possible without disassembling the lower ball joint too.

Should have read this before renting the tool:doh:

I did the first side only dropping the the upper ball joint. It was a PITA to get the CV out and in.
The other side, I split the lower ball joint (took 2 minutes) but made the job much easier and quicker overall.
Next time I will split the lower ball joint again, straight away - so much easier- Just as the FSM advises.
I used a small solid 2 leg puller, and did not touch the shock or the torsion bar.

I've always just done the LBJ as well. Tried the uppers once but couldn't get them to budge. Next time I may try the uppers as they need new booties anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom